What did you cook or eat today (January 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked at a copy-cat recipe for Zippy's Hawaiian chili... Mayonnaise??? :eek:

CD
I have yet to find a copycat recipe that is correct ... and no, Zippy's does not add mayonnaise, but some folks plop a spoonful on top of their Chili - not I!!

IMG_2528.JPG

A few years back, after bringing home frozen Zippy's Chili, I kept the ingredients panel in the hopes of figuring this recipe out.
Not yet, but I'll get there.

I have yet to find a copycat recipe that is correct ... and no, Zippy's does not add mayonnaise, but some folks plop a spoonful on top of their Chili - not I!!

View attachment 95539

A few years back, after bringing home frozen Zippy's Chili, I kept the ingredients panel in the hopes of figuring this recipe out.
Not yet, but I'll get there.

Do the regulations for ingredient listing require an order? I think I remember in the UK an order was required; heaviest first?

If so, that's a shed load of beans!

I have not put beans in my chilli in 40 years.

@Yorky as I understand it, yes, ingredient lists are from the greatest in volume and so on.
As to the beans, well, you get Zippy's Chili without, the way that my DH likes it.

The classic way to write up a recipe is in terms of the order of ingredients as used (not weight). There is a lot of sense in this, at it means as you read through the ingredients you can relate them to the steps (method) of the recipe (which obviously is also in the order of ingredients used).

In terms of food labelling I think it is the case that the heaviest quantity of an ingredient comes first.

Yorky as I understand it, yes, ingredient lists are from the greatest in volume and so on.
As to the beans, well, you get Zippy's Chili without, the way that my DH likes it.
The classic way to write up a recipe is in terms of the order of ingredients as used (not weight). There is a lot of sense in this, at it means as you read through the ingredients you can relate them to the steps (method) of the recipe (which obviously is also in the order of ingredients used).

In terms of food labelling I think it is the case that the heaviest quantity of an ingredient comes first.
Do the regulations for ingredient listing require an order? I think I remember in the UK an order was required; heaviest first?

If so, that's a shed load of beans!

I have not put beans in my chilli in 40 years.

UK regulations - Food labelling and packaging

US regulations - https://www.fda.gov/food/food-ingre...iew-food-ingredients-additives-colors#qalabel

Aussie regulations - Ingredient lists and percentage labelling

breakfast I had corn cereal with whole milk.
Lunch was a ham and cheese sandwich with
lettuce,tomato and mayo. Last for dinner was
nothing more than a single pork chop. In between
I drank bottled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom