What did you cook or eat today (July 2019)?

Pancakes and bacon for breakfast.

Pancakes are one of those things that should be simple, but are tricky to get exactly right.

Today's turned out like McDonald's pancakes. Tomorrow, I could use the same recipe, same pan, same heat, and they'd look like diner pancakes, and the next day, they'd be different again. :meh:
45E24ED9-3283-4B6D-A2F5-7B9D57630BCB.jpeg

Pancakes are one of those things that should be simple, but are tricky to get exactly right.

Today's turned out like McDonald's pancakes. Tomorrow, I could use the same recipe, same pan, same heat, and they'd look like diner pancakes, and the next day, they'd be different again. :meh:

Unfortunately I don't have a clue what either a McDonald's pancake or a diner pancake is so I wouldn't have a clue if they differed.

To me, these are what pancakes look like.

with lime 2 rf s.jpg

View attachment 29759

American pancakes are very different from British pancakes. The latter is more like a slightly thick crêpe.

So, like @Yorky, I wouldn't know the difference between a diner pancake and a McDonald's. But yours look very good to me!

Nice. Garlic knots are bread?

Yes. We roasted and mashed some garlic and stirred it into the ricotta, along with some red pepper flakes, which made the ricotta really tasty. Since we had some garlic left, softened some butter, mixed with the garlic and some salt, then used that for the bread.

McDonalds pancakes look like something you'd get from a box in the freezer section and reheat to eat. They're relatively small (about four inches across) and thin, and usually a little tough. They'd be lucky to make it past 1/8" thick.

Diner pancakes, aside from the sheer size (about nine inches across), rise quite a bit and are cakey/fluffy, a good 1/2"-3/4".

Diner pancakes followed by sad, puny McD's pancakes:
EB5FDC9D-3687-4FFA-9685-C26439C01F75.jpeg
A67EB944-E7FE-41E3-B343-DAB5682F9BB4.jpeg

View attachment 29759

Ditto.

Chopped/Salisbury type steak over mashies with mushroom/onion gravy. Salad for a side. We both forgot how good something so simple can be and are both stuffed.

We do have ricotta pound cake for dessert. Hopefully, we'll have room later.

Chopped/Salisbury type steak over mashies with mushroom/onion gravy. Salad for a side. We both forgot how good something so simple can be and are both stuffed.

We do have ricotta pound cake for dessert. Hopefully, we'll have room later.

Any pics of the cake, I've heard of it, but never seen it.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom