What did you cook or eat today (July 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it taste as good as it looks?
Thanks!

Well, the burger has pesto mixed in, and on the bun as well, along with the fresh mozz and slices of tomato. That was fine, but nothing really crazy-good. It looked like a good recipe that would put the basil out front, and it did.

I was really happy with the tomato salad, though. I wasn't expecting anything special, just tomatoes dressed in oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt, with fresh basil, oregano, and parsley (all from just outside my door), but the taste was really good, nice and refreshing. I threw in some fresh mozz at the last minute, too, since it was out.

You have tea to tide you over 'til tea, LOL.

I predict one of several likely people will respond with the multiple definitions of "tea" in non-American English. :)

Thanks!

Well, the burger has pesto mixed in, and on the bun as well, along with the fresh mozz and slices of tomato. That was fine, but nothing really crazy-good. It looked like a good recipe that would put the basil out front, and it did.

I was really happy with the tomato salad, though. I wasn't expecting anything special, just tomatoes dressed in oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt, with fresh basil, oregano, and parsley (all from just outside my door), but the taste was really good, nice and refreshing. I threw in some fresh mozz at the last minute, too, since it was out.

I predict one of several likely people will respond with the multiple definitions of "tea" in non-American English. :)

I sometimes say tea and also dinner.

Russ

Thanks!

I thought the basil might overpower my chicken thighs, but not at all. I love basil, and thought it was well balanced.

I make tomato salad, caprese style from time to time. Fewer ingredients, but same basics. Good stuff!

CD

Thanks!

So you made a sort of Caprese salad in a bun, nice idea.
However, I’m curious about sugar addition in your tomato salad, it’s something completely new to me

Liver & bacon in red wine sauce, hashbrowns, veggies.

So you made a sort of Caprese salad in a bun, nice idea.
However, I’m curious about sugar addition in your tomato salad, it’s something completely new to me
Talk to a lot of cooks over here, and you'll find there's a huuuuuge argument about using sugar with tomatoes, tomato sauce, pizza sauce, etc. Some say using it reduces the acidity in the tomatoes, some say it's an absolute no-no, and eventually, you'll hear, "My sweet little nonna never did that, and she was from a tiny village outside Rome!" followed by, "Well, my sweet little nonna did, and she was from an even tinier village in Sicily, so there!"

My personal feeling is, when you're making sauce, and you've got good sweet tomatoes, you probably don't need the sugar, but if the tomatoes are too acidic, a little sugar will help them. Taste the sauce and use the sugar if you need to. Easy! :)

However, in this case, I think the sugar didn't really have much to do with the tomatoes, it was just a part of the vinaigrette. Sugar (or honey) is a frequent ingredient in vinaigrette, here at least it is, and I think that's why it's included. The dressing is just a simple herb vinaigrette.

Even with the sugar, MrsTasty said it was too vinegary! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom