What did you cook or eat today (July 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also just had a cup of tea and three bikkies/cookies - maple cream sandwich cookies, to be exact.

I didn't know that - which goes to show how romantic my ideas are of Italian tomatoes!

The North of Italy (apart from Liguria) isn’t famous for its tomatoes or olive oil, it has many other great product (butter for example is special) but the best tomatoes are those that come from the South

Last edited:
I'm so sweet, I just stick my little finger in for about 10 seconds. :laugh:

Are you imagining everyone in Italy driving around in a 1960's FIAT 500, eating juicy tomatoes, and singing opera? I wasn't, but I am now! :) 🇮🇹 🚗 🍅

Ops!

I don't like to put sugar in my sauce. But, I use canned tomatoes, usually from Italy, because they are almost always better tasting than what I can buy fresh.

I have heard about using carrots to balance acidity in tomato sauce. I have not tried it -- I hate carrots. I probably wouldn't taste them in a big pot of sauce. I should try it.

CD

Carrots just release their sugar as well as pumpkins do, then throw them away as soon as tomato sauce is ready. You won’t taste them regardless if it’s a big or small pot

Last edited:
Looks lovely. Are you going to enter this into The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Basil?
Well it would be a bit of a stretch really, the basil component was only a handful or two of torn basil leaves thrown in near the end.

I put in two red chilies rather than one, because why not, and it really set me off. Coughing, sneezing, eyes and nose streaming, a similar reaction to when I do Kung Pao chicken.

Well it would be a bit of a stretch really, the basil component was only a handful or two of torn basil leaves thrown in near the end.

I do think its very difficult to make basil a big main ingredient (as with most herbs) - unless its pesto or similar. My cherry tart entry only used a few leaves and a few large sprigs.

I put in two red chilies rather than one, because why not, and it really set me off. Coughing, sneezing, eyes and nose streaming, a similar reaction to when I do Kung Pao chicken.

I doubt anyone is going to enter a bowl of basil with a light salad dressing, so all the entries are going to have a small-ish percentage of basil -- other than a pesto, as MG says. Enter it.

BTW, I am famous for underestimating the potency of peppers. It always seems like, "That's not enough," until I take my first bite.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom