What did you cook or eat today (July 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, Craig and I were just talking today that we haven't made in a long time. Sweet onions in an herbed crust.
Well, I'll tell you...I effed this thing up six ways to Sunday, and it was still pretty good.

First, you saw my shrunken crust in the disasters topic. Then, I cooked the onions too long, because I was thinking of caramelizing them, and it's not what the recipe called for. After that, I added diced (streaky) bacon, which I usually cook a bit first, but I figured it would crisp up a bit on its own - nope.

Then, after hand-whisking an egg white for five solid minutes, I couldn't get it anywhere near stiff peaks, so the custardy bit wasn't that good, and the egg mixture basically rode on top of the onions and never oozed in, so I ended up with caramelized onions and spongy bacon on a flat pastry crust and with a baked egg layer on top.

But, it still tasted ok. No pictures, though. No way. Uh-uh.

Don't know about tonight's dinner, kids away on a three day break, so first Sunday off in ages. We had a big dinner with friends last night so only something light. Maybe cheese on toast or eggs on toast?? I'm sitting watching the horse and dog racing at 3.30 pm and doing nothing. I'm enjoying it.

Russ

Confit duck legs, roast potatoes and French peas.

I am just slow roasting some belly pork to be eaten cold tonight with salad. I have to say I never liked the idea of gas BBq's but this Weber is the Dog's Bollocks In UK slang terms the "dog's bollocks" means the best. It comes from the habit of male dog's licking their testicles (bollocks) and that they must taste good as they spend so much time in this activity.
108274266_868795913609925_5841296695051191500_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom