What did you cook or eat today (July 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are about an inch thick, the flint stone ones are about 1 1/2 inches thick. Butchers here tend to cut them thick to sell more meat. A tip from mymste butcher.

Must be the picture. They don't look that thick. 1.5 inches is about normal, here.

CD

It seems to be more of a tradition to use fresh garlic and onion. I only discovered the use of both through this forum and they are very handy store cupboard ingredients.
Yes, as long as I can remember neither my Mom or my Grandma had any of the two ( onion and garlic powder)...fresh,yes,always.

I looked in 6 shops, I could look in 3-4 more. Or order online, but would love to have other articles to order along too...

Assuming that it is quite important for the Cajun spice mix profile...

Probably the giant Spar supermarket might have it...lately I dislike crowds and plentiful of colours,sounds, movement of objects and subjects in ac oxygenless spaces, but it is just me. It will get better and online is a good alternative.

Last nights dinner. Cold roast pork belly, sliced toms with feta, bread. Pud water melon.
1627099585831.png
1627099602576.png
1627099620789.png
1627099640161.png
1627099661300.png
1627099675933.png

I am very low on iron. And natrium. Cholesterol is hightened.
So I armed myself with information and a plan. Gotta fix this by school begin.

Omitting eggs,cheese and other dairy, used to it from being Vegan, no problem. Watching for iron rich foods and vit C foods. Some more salt.

I've figured out if I have a wholegrain cracker at 4 am, it levels up my blood sugar when I wake up,and makes me less wobbly. Bloodsugar was higher but due to sugar intake as I felt pre faint that morning...we shall repeat the tests in Sepotember.

Third test results coming in Monday.

I got some Magnesium enriched water. An electrolites powder. An iron supplement. It should be good. Good to see all the other parameters were good.

Oh have to ditch coffee as it blocks iron absorption. Will do tea and juices.

Got beautiful swiss chard, black beans. Olive oil.

Did chia soymilk overnight pudding. Will do that as first breakfast.

Yes, as long as I can remember neither my Mom or my Grandma had any of the two ( onion and garlic powder)...fresh,yes,always.

I looked in 6 shops, I could look in 3-4 more. Or order online, but would love to have other articles to order along too...

Assuming that it is quite important for the Cajun spice mix profile...

Probably the giant Spar supermarket might have it...lately I dislike crowds and plentiful of colours,sounds, movement of objects and subjects in ac oxygenless spaces, but it is just me. It will get better and online is a good alternative.

You don't need onion powder or garlic powder to cook the Cajun dishes I cook. Especially onion powder, since diced onion is one part of the "Holy Trinity" in Cajun cooking -- onion, celery and bell pepper. Garlic is called "the Pope," and I use fresh garlic.

CD

You don't need onion powder or garlic powder to cook the Cajun dishes I cook. Especially onion powder, since diced onion is one part of the "Holy Trinity" in Cajun cooking -- onion, celery and bell pepper. Garlic is called "the Pope," and I use fresh garlic.

CD
Really? Oh that is cool. I love onion,celery,pepper...fresh garlic is lovely, recently I noticed it sits heavy on my stomach, but I think it will get better with the iron regulation.

I might still get the onion powder to do the spice mix recipe correctly. Got all else. It might be good for the rushed work weeks, to have in the cupboard.

Thanks😊

I am very low on iron. And natrium. Cholesterol is hightened.
So I armed myself with information and a plan. Gotta fix this by school begin.

Omitting eggs,cheese and other dairy, used to it from being Vegan, no problem. Watching for iron rich foods and vit C foods. Some more salt.

I've figured out if I have a wholegrain cracker at 4 am, it levels up my blood sugar when I wake up,and makes me less wobbly. Bloodsugar was higher but due to sugar intake as I felt pre faint that morning...we shall repeat the tests in Sepotember.

Third test results coming in Monday.

I got some Magnesium enriched water. An electrolites powder. An iron supplement. It should be good. Good to see all the other parameters were good.

Oh have to ditch coffee as it blocks iron absorption. Will do tea and juices.

Got beautiful swiss chard, black beans. Olive oil.

Did chia soymilk overnight pudding. Will do that as first breakfast.

View attachment 67874

View attachment 67875

When you cut meat from your diet, you risk low iron. There are vegan sources of iron, but they don't absorb as easily. Cooked spinach is one good source. Cooked shard, too. You won't absorb as much iron with raw spinach or chard. The iron is in those leafy greens, but you won't absorb them as well raw.

That's the downside to vegetarian and vegan diets. You give up nutrients people need as omnivores. Iron is one of them.

Protein is another. Giving up eggs, you are giving up a great source of protein.

Instead of totally eliminating things from a diet, perhaps eating them in moderation is a better idea.

CD

The only time that I've had beef curry before was that atrocious "Vesta" stuff in the 70s. I've steered clear of it since but today was an exception. After foregoing the fish bhuna on Thirstday, I decided on a bhuna gosht today (with beef).

It was better than I remember the Vesta but not significantly. I have another portion which I shall freeze for later so it can't have been that bad.

Cooking.

Served.

Served with yellow Jasmine rice.

Zuppa Gallurese for lunch today - and I foresee for dinner too.
This is called Soup although is not a classic one. It’s made by soaking the crispy Carasau Bread in broth, then treated as a sort of lasagna since it’s layered.
I’ve been eating Zuppa Gallurese in Sardinia since I have memory since my Sardinian family often made it.
Thus today I thought it was the right time to make it. Usually they use sheep to make the broth (I’m not a fan of sheep meat but the broth is wonderful), which I replaced with oxo broth. Then layers of Carasau Bread, Pecorino (both grated and sliced), lots of parsley and in the oven for about 20-25 mins.
All washed down with a Sardinian red wine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom