What did you cook or eat today (June 2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lu didn't mention that lunch and dinner were at the same place, a very small restaurant in a little village, not for tourists. There were about half a dozen things on the menu and they basically mentioned the meat in the restaurant style and that was it, you got what the cook served. Best food of our holiday.
I adore places like that.

There used to be a place, long since out of business, in a town we’d drive through on the way to my wife’s hometown.

Its main purpose was that of a first-rate wine/beer shop, but if you knew about it, there was this little archway, usually nearly completely obscured by pallets of merchandise, at the back of the shop, and through there, they ran a little restaurant.

No menu, four little bistro tables, windowless back room, little cutout for ordering, and you just asked what they’d made that day, and they’d say “Chicken paprikash,” or “Veal Parmesan,” and that’s what they had, until it was gone.

Some of the best food I’ve ever had. Mismatched plates, chipped usually, old cloudy glass tumblers for the wine and beer, but it was fantastic, reasonably priced too.

There used to be a place, long since out of business, in a town we’d drive through on the way to my wife’s hometown.

Its main purpose was that of a first-rate wine/beer shop, but if you knew about it, there was this little archway, usually nearly completely obscured by pallets of merchandise, at the back of the shop, and through there, they ran a little restaurant.

No menu, four little bistro tables, windowless back room, little cutout for ordering, and you just asked what they’d made that day, and they’d say “Chicken paprikash,” or “Veal Parmesan,” and that’s what they had, until it was gone.

Some of the best food I’ve ever had. Mismatched plates, chipped usually, old cloudy glass tumblers for the wine and beer, but it was fantastic, reasonably priced too.
You just bought back memories of a joint we used to go to on a Sunday, for lunch on the way to visit family.
We passed it again last Saturday when going to watch grandson play rugby. It's called the white house and is still running. We talked about all the meals we had there 30 plus years ago.
Obviously different owners now.

Russ

Sheet-pan roasted sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and broccoli:

Served with a yogurt-scallion-lime sauce on the side.

I love bread bowls - they were all the rage here in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s. Now they’re seen as kitschy and fun, but very dated.
My favorite small Sandwich-Soup-Salad joint here in Cowboyville serves their full sized bowl of soup on their in house baked boules, yum! They started out as a bread bakery and expanded from there, I love the place and introduced it to my Mother, she'd in love!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back in college, there was a place in Krum, Texas called The Clay Pot Eatery. No menu. Call ahead to see what the cook was making today. Wonderful!

The best meal i had in Paris was from the same kind of place, served family style. The meal that day was coq au vin.

CD

IMG_1807.JPG

I wanted to make a copycat Sizzler's (restaurant) Malibu Chicken.
I'm not super happy with this. I've made this before, but I didn't write it down or blog it or anything, dang it all, and it was way better before.
Anyways, it's what's for dinner this evening along with some steamed veg and roasted red bliss potatoes.

I had a terrible fall this morning, yet again turning my dicky left ankle, it’s EOFY, third day in a row with no proper lunch break so I decided I needed a treat from the cafe behind us - they are good friends and I called them to order a cheeseburger & sweet potato fries. Which they delivered right to my desk ❤️

That chilli sauce is homemade and delicious. So is the aioli.

Later they brought over a thank you cake as my boss allowed them to store some stuff with us and a few other small favours recently. Chocolate cake with ganache layers and covered in chocolate buttercream. A882F58E-1C6C-471A-83B0-03664D12939F.jpeg

Sometimes these are the best places, nothing chef fancy just grandma or grandpa serving up home cooked meals with love and years of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom