What did you cook or eat today (June 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheeseburger salad. Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, shredded cheese, and a chopped-up burger patty, topped with some homemade dressing.
047B95D0-D034-4704-996C-92F06100054E.jpeg

I made these little filet mignon steaks (marinated in soy-based marinade). I cooked them for 25 minutes at 225F in my toaster oven in that glass dish, then pan-seared them in my cast iron skillet with Irish butter smeared on them. I had some leftover mashed potatoes and a container of brown gravy with mushrooms, onions and peppers in it, plus some frozen Brussels sprouts i quickly sauteed with butter and salt. No pics of the cooked food, too hungry, but very tasty!
20230611_175540.jpg

Last edited:
Friday night after the drive home a one pot dish seemed a good idea. As usual it exploded into a table full of food.

Bought a chicken cooking flavour packet at the Asian market. I love these random things. This one was bobo chicken. A bit of googling and I found this dish is often mistranslated as “saliva chicken” or more properly as “mouth watering chicken”. Often served room temp or cold.

I put bone in chicken pieces into the “hot pot” (non stick electric pan) with onion, and once brown added the green chilli oil, some water, the flavour sachet and some Korean doenjang. Let that simmer for a while before adding rice cakes, lotus root slices, wombok, edamame, sesame seeds and spring onions in order of needed cooking time.
We had it with rice & various banchan.
F1F70C2D-ADF9-42DA-BB5C-339C21507B1E.jpeg

It was delicious. Not super spicy, I was expecting it to be stupid hot as it’s Szechuan but lovely for the freezing Lithgow winter temps.

Last nights dinner was pork tacos. They were a collaborative effort and delicious. I slow roasted a pork shoulder until tender & crispy on a bed of onion, garlic & tomato with some chilli & cumin. The kids helped with the sides. And the heavy lifting. There was crispy roast veg, tomato onion, guac, sour cream, lettuce, and Takis.

Do you all know TAKI’S? Corn chips but not as we know them in Australia. That’s them in the red bowl.
Spicy sour with lime, really crunchy. Dipped in sour cream or guacamole or just smashed avo they are a delightful treat. Also good crushed as a taco filling.
18BD4D9E-1257-4C27-8F69-AC2D21C58FA9.jpeg

Last nights dinner was pork tacos. They were a collaborative effort and delicious. I slow roasted a pork shoulder until tender & crispy on a bed of onion, garlic & tomato with some chilli & cumin. The kids helped with the sides. And the heavy lifting. There was crispy roast veg, tomato onion, guac, sour cream, lettuce, and Takis.

Do you all know TAKI’S? Corn chips but not as we know them in Australia. That’s them in the red bowl.
Spicy sour with lime, really crunchy. Dipped in sour cream or guacamole or just smashed avo they are a delightful treat. Also good crushed as a taco filling. View attachment 101173
Yes, I see them in the grocery stores here. My kids love them!

Spicy sour with lime, really crunchy. Dipped in sour cream or guacamole or just smashed avo they are a delightful treat. Also good crushed as a taco filling. View attachment 101173

Takis are all over the place in Texas. They are a Mexican brand, owned by a company called... Bimbo. Yes, that's the name. We call them tortilla chips, but I know the British term is corn chips, which is something very different here. They are known for their hot chili flavors.

CD

Takis are all over the place in Texas. They are a Mexican brand, owned by a company called... Bimbo. Yes, that's the name. We call them tortilla chips, but I know the British term is corn chips, which is something very different here. They are known for their hot chili flavors.

CD

Tortilla is used here with no distinction-

Tortilla for crunchy corn ‘chips’
Tortilla for soft corn or flour wraps.
Tortilla for the egg potato omelette type thing.

This means most of the time when someone says tortilla there’s an obligatory conversation about which type of tortilla they actually mean 😂

Tortilla is used here with no distinction-

Tortilla for crunchy corn ‘chips’
Tortilla for soft corn or flour wraps.
Tortilla for the egg potato omelette type thing.

This means most of the time when someone says tortilla there’s an obligatory conversation about which type of tortilla they actually mean 😂

In the US, tortilla chips and corn chips are two very different things. Corn chips are...

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 4.01.36 AM.jpg

Does Walkers sell these in the UK?

CD

In the US, tortilla chips and corn chips are two very different things. Corn chips are...

View attachment 101184

CD
Not that I’ve seen.
There’s a very nice white corn manchego flavoured one from Manomasa that’s that sort of shape. Quite strongly flavoured but good all the same.

IMG_0374.jpeg

I have to confess it’s not something I’ve looked into in great depth, there is a lot of choice but as the bog standard supermarket tortilla chips (sort of thing below) are good and comparatively cheap I tend to buy those.
These contain only maize flour, oil and salt and often it seems the less ingredients the better!

IMG_0373.jpeg

There are other good quality yellow corn ones with only oil and salt available but all are over the £2.50 mark and as my family easily eat the majority of a packet each it’s £4 for everyone V’s £10 and I can’t bring myself to spend that on tortilla chips!

Then there’s this type of thing that charge a premium and give you a dose of extra chemicals. I always read the ingredients list on the back of packaging and am often surprised.

Corn (Maize), Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Antioxidants (Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopherol Rich Extract, Citric Acid).

IMG_0375.jpeg

Last edited:
Not that I’ve seen.
There’s a very nice white corn manchego flavoured one from Manomasa that’s that sort of shape. Quite strongly flavoured but good all the same.

View attachment 101185

I have to confess it’s not something I’ve looked into in great depth, there is a lot of choice but as the bog standard supermarket tortilla chips (sort of thing below) are good and comparatively cheap I tend to buy those.
These contain only maize flour, oil and salt and often it seems the less ingredients the better!

View attachment 101186

There are other good quality yellow corn ones with only oil and salt available but all are over the £2.50 mark and as my family easily eat the majority of a packet each it’s £4 for everyone V’s £10 and I can’t bring myself to spend that on tortilla chips!

Then there’s this type of thing that charge a premium and give you a dose of extra chemicals. I always read the ingredients list on the back of packaging and am often surprised.

Corn (Maize), Rapeseed Oil, Salt, Antioxidants (Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Tocopherol Rich Extract, Citric Acid).

View attachment 101187
Yeah, I'm not into the flavored things, I'd rather get plain and make dips.

View attachment 101184

CD
Different, but not very different. They're a bit thicker and have a different texture.

Fritos ingredients: corn, corn oil, and salt.

Tostitos Tortilla Chips Ingredients. Corn, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Canola and/or Sunflower Oil), and Salt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom