What did you cook or eat today (March 2020)?

remove and discard the fat layer from the liquid,

The liquid turned to solid fat! I did braise it. Vietnamese Pork recipes don't crisp it afterwards. I think I just used pork that was too fatty or something. I wasn't following a recipe but it was something along these lines:

Vietnamese pork

The liquid turned to solid fat! I did braise it. Vietnamese Pork recipes don't crisp it afterwards. I think I just used pork that was too fatty or something. I wasn't following a recipe but it was something along these lines:

Vietnamese pork

7 oz of water for close to 2 hours cooking time, with that amount of sugar? I don't see how that wouldn't burn. I'd use more liquid, then do what i wrote, then cook down the liquid after fat was removed.

Did you pick out pork belly or have it delivered? That is something I would never let somebody else pick for me as I've seen pieces that are nearly all fat.

7 oz of water for close to 2 hours cooking time, with that amount of sugar? I don't see how that wouldn't burn. I'd use more liquid, then do what i wrote, then cook down the liquid after fat was removed.

Did you pick out pork belly or have it delivered? That is something I would never let somebody else pick for me as I've seen pieces that are nearly all fat.

If you look on-line there are numerous recipes for Vietnamese Pork along these lines. I got the pork in a delivery a while ago. It was in the freezer.

My hope is to cook spanakopita today. Not from scratch, I have the phyllo.

Don't know if I can - I threw my back out yesterday and getting the phyllo depends on my being able to reach down low and back in the freezer. I really want to use the fresh spinach I have here, and today is its use it or lose it deadline.

The other thing I want to cook up is a mushroom stir fry, with fresh veggies (bell pepper, leeks and the like). Or maybe make a crust-less quiche with said mushrooms and a leek.

My hope is to cook spanakopita today. Not from scratch, I have the phyllo.

Don't know if I can - I threw my back out yesterday and getting the phyllo depends on my being able to reach down low and back in the freezer. I really want to use the fresh spinach I have here, and today is its use it or lose it deadline.

Cook the spinach, cool and refrigerate. You have to cook it and let it cool before you put the spanikopita together anyway. Then, let it warm to room temp and proceed when your back feels better.

Ooh, that reminds me, we could have a Cajun chicken strudel. I'll have to check and see if we still have some of the sauce I made and canned for it.

Cook the spinach, cool and refrigerate. You have to cook it and let it cool before you put the spanikopita together anyway. Then, let it warm to room temp and proceed when your back feels better.

I was about to say exactly the same thing. Cooked spinach will keep several days or of course, can be popped in the freezer.

I will try the pork belly thing. I am assuming mine is low-ish in fat - no I didn't pick it out, but it came with last October's local farmer pork share.
I've been enjoying the pork belly convo, because, being pork belly, I'd eat it any which way. I love fat!

We just watched an old episode of "All Creatures Great And Small," and Dr. Herriot had just helped birth a calf, so the farmer invited him in for breakfast.

They'd previously established that the vet liked his bacon done crispy, so when he sat down to what was promised a feast, he looked in dismay as the housewife sliced off a couple of all-but-raw, super extra fatty, bacon rashers.

He tried to feed it to the dog, he tried to get out of it, but he finally had to force himself to eat it, and the whole time, the farmer was describing why extra-fatty raw bacon was the only way to go:

"The feel of it, Vet, in your throat, slidin' down...the grease on your chin...there's nothin' ta beat it!"

:laugh: 🤢

I've been enjoying the pork belly convo, because, being pork belly, I'd eat it any which way. I love fat!

"The feel of it, Vet, in your throat, slidin' down...the grease on your chin...there's nothin' ta beat it!"

:laugh: 🤢

One time I bought some pancetta at the deli (we usually buy big chunks and slice it ourselves, but didn't that day). The deli always offers you a slice of whatever you are buying. The young man did that to me with the pancetta. I just looked at him and said "You do realize that's like bacon. It's cured and you could technically eat it like that, but I prefer mine cooked."

Ever tried pork belly buns or pork belly in tacos? I like to cure pork belly before I cook it with some kind of salt/sugar/spice combo, then wash off and either roast or braise.

Ever tried pork belly buns or pork belly in tacos?
I've had pork belly on a sandwich roll, yes. Not in a taco.

In 3rd grade (so about 8yo), we had to go around the classroom and say what our favorite food was.

A lot of the kids said pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, typical kid foods, but when it came around to me, just to be a smart-ass, I shouted, "Fat!"

All the girls went, "Ewwwww!" and the teacher made me apologize and pick a "real" food, so I said gravy. :laugh:

I've had pork belly on a sandwich roll, yes.

I meant the Chinese style ones, with the steamed buns, pickled cukes, hoisin sauce. That's 1 of Craig's top meals.

The pork belly I had on tacos was cured with a Mexican spice cure that included cumin, more than likely roasted as opposed to braised from the texture, crisped on a grill, then served with a tamarind based sauce and a pickled radish garnish. OMG was it good!

:ohmy: Makes me sad. I hope I never say that. I have cooking disasters from time to time too. A few days ago I cooked pork belly Vietnamese style. It was horrible, far too much fat to eat. I let it go cold before getting rid of it and it was literally set completely in white fat.
You are fat phobic :hyper:If you render it down enough it will be delicious!

I let my inner six year old have a go at cupcake decorating. I baked cupcakes before but never decorated them. Guess it's a start :wink:

They are lemon cupcakes by the hairy bikers.

Back
Top Bottom