What did you cook or eat today (March 2020)?

Homemade gyro meat, pita and zatziki.
full.jpg

Good tip. How long did you bake the nests for Yorky?

The recipe said 8 minutes at 400° (which I guessed was Fahrenheit) so I initially baked the nests at 200°C for 5 minutes in the halogen. Then a further 5 minutes to produce what you see. I allowed them to cool a little then added a little mozarella before my wife inserted the quail eggs. Then back in the halogen until the egg white looked solid (about 4 or 5 minutes I think).

That is not enough time to cook potato from raw. It should be 20 mins at least. Maybe longer depending on how coarsely the potato is grated. Some recipes suggest par boiling potatoes before grating.

I was only going by the recipe. If I'd have left them in the halogen for 20 minutes the tops of the nests would have been charcoal.

I'm not going to bother again anyway. The quail eggs are far too fiddly and I'm too old to try this new stuff.

I'm too old to try this new stuff.

:ohmy: Makes me sad. I hope I never say that. I have cooking disasters from time to time too. A few days ago I cooked pork belly Vietnamese style. It was horrible, far too much fat to eat. I let it go cold before getting rid of it and it was literally set completely in white fat.

:ohmy: Makes me sad. I hope I never say that. I have cooking disasters from time to time too. A few days ago I cooked pork belly Vietnamese style. It was horrible, far too much fat to eat. I let it go cold before getting rid of it and it was literally set completely in white fat.
Nobody perfect Bella.

Sarana x

Did you braise it? Too late now, but i always take pork out of the liquid, refrigerate separately, remove and discard the fat layer from the liquid, then warm up and crisp the pork belly in a skillet right before serving. Gets rid of a lot of fat that way, though pork belly is inherently fatty and there's always going to be that fatty feel and taste.

Also, if you cooked with skin on, the liquid will gel when cooled. I hope you didn't think that was fat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom