What did you cook or eat today (March 2020)?

This biscuit appeared on the bench, daughters friend works at this bakery. About 5 on the bench. So I had one with a cup of tea this morning.

Russ

I made a Big Mac clone tonight, minus the double-decker aspect. I can get specialty buns here that are similar to what McD's uses (a tall hamburger bun, to allow for the middle bit), but that would mean a special trip out of my way, so I usually don't have those.

This really did taste right on the mark, though the beef I used is much better. Part of it was that I used about 5 tablespoons of burger sauce, but the real key to that "fast-food" taste - pre-shredded bagged lettuce.

Yup, there's something unique about that that really gives it that Big Mac taste, and smell, believe it or not. I've made these before using lettuce I shred and even with homegrown lettuce, and the taste is off. It's good...better even, but to capture that weird "veggie that doesn't taste like a veggie" character, you've got to go with the bagged stuff.

fries are always a good choice
I could eat my weight in fries, and my lovely wife of 30 years (in two months), the woman who has my heart and occupies most of my time...even she knows she'll get a fork through the hand if she reaches for one of my fries. :laugh:

0D05B8D4-D42A-4E75-930B-37338D025FB1.jpeg

If necessity is the mother of invention, then this stir fry was absolutely necessary. My son has been making an absurd amount of bacon lately. For those who might think that the previous sentence doesn’t make sense, let me quantify for you: I seriously can’t remember the last time he didn’t make bacon. Maybe 2 weeks ago?

Fortunately, he remembers that I save the bacon grease. I have two mason jars of it filled to the brim. But, I can’t keep up with that pace. Today, he had a pan with more grease than usual. I didn’t want to start a third jar, so I got my scrap vegetables together and made a stir fry. The rice is leftover white rice from a broccoli chicken a few days ago. I added what little chicken remained at the end.

The result was good. But, I don’t know what to do tomorrow if he makes more bacon.

If??

Back
Top Bottom