What did you cook or eat today (March 2020)?

Ok I had a burger again, I forgot the chow chow though until half way through the second bit. Couldn't be bothered stopping and adding. Was good. Triple cheese this time. Oh and no tinned Beetroot for the burger, I'll get some tomorrow. We have preserved in jars here I made but I'm fussy, has to be store bought.

Russ

Oops forgot pic.

Russ

Hush puppies here are a shoe, at your place they are?????

Russ

Hushpuppies here are a very traditional side item for fish, especially fried fish. They date back to Native Americans, although they are often considered "Soul food." They are a thick corn meal batter that is fried in oil. They are kind like deep fried cornbread. They are one food that we "Mercans," well at least the native ones we "Yuripeans" stole the land from, can call truly "American."

CD

Here's my hushpuppy story.

When I was in the Air Force, because of my career field, I had to spend a lot of time at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi. As someone who likes to be alone a lot and gets bored easily, I used to spend my weekends driving up into the state quite a bit, just looking at the little towns and finding interesting places to eat and see.

I found a diner I liked, maybe 90 minutes or so north, middle of nowhere, so I started going there every Saturday. I'm an early riser, so even at that distance, I'd get there right after they'd open, and it was always the same waitress working the counter at that time. Over the several weeks that I was there, we got to know each other a little bit.

On my last Saturday before leaving to go back to San Antonio, I went up, ordered breakfast, chatted with her a little (Gail), and as I was finishing up, I mentioned she wouldn't be seeing me any more, since I was heading back home.

"You wait right there! Don't go nowhere 'til I get back!"

I waited for several minutes, and finally, she came back with a big greasy sack full of hushpuppies. I swear, these things were the size of oranges. They were huge.

She said, "We don't usually serve these until later, but he's already got the batter together, and it's kind of what we're know for around here, so you take those so you have something to eat in the car. That's a long drive."

Goes without saying, she wouldn't take any money for them, and I probably ate three or four, just on the drive back to the base, because they're best right out of the grease.

Something I haven't come across before - 'cheese sticks' (not 'cheese straws').

I was told to give them a few minutes in the oven to crisp them up - perhaps I should have given them longer as they were still soft. But they were very nice - a bit like a sausage roll in terms of texture, so I guess that means puff pastry - flavoured with cheese and caraway seeds.

Something I haven't come across before - 'cheese sticks' (not 'cheese straws').

I was told to give them a few minutes in the oven to crisp them up - perhaps I should have given them longer as they were still soft. But they were very nice - a bit like a sausage roll in terms of texture, so I guess that means puff pastry - flavoured with cheese and caraway seeds.

View attachment 38422

Is the Puff pastry day today?
Those two cheese sticks look delicious and you’ve just given me an idea, something that I could try to make soon.
What kind of cheese in those CS?

Those two cheese sticks look delicious and you’ve just given me an idea, something that I could try to make soon.
What kind of cheese in those CS?

They are delicious - and quite filling.

I'm not sure about the cheese - perhaps it's grated Comté. If I can find out, I'll let you know

Back
Top Bottom