What did you cook or eat today (March 2023)?

Hi.
What is the thing that looks like a tiny lime?
You’re going to say tiny lime aren‘t you 😆
Without trying to be facetious, yes, they are just tiny limes. 😂. They haven’t got a special name round here - we just call them ‘limes’.

0377C27B-C838-44AB-A170-DA16ABC93F1B.jpeg

That bacon looks unreal! Literally like the sort of bacon you’d see in a staged WW2 reconstruction plate about rationing or something 😆
How did it stay so straight and smooth?
I put it in the smoker for a few hours and finished it off in an oven. Putting the bacon on a cooling rack and then on a baking sheet is always the way I go. A lot of people use a hot pan and the always buckles the bacon and it gets wrinkly.

Lunch was a turkey sandwich half and some coleslaw:

E429E702-F05A-43CB-B90A-0584ACA5E4B3.jpeg

Just enough to hit the spot.

While we were sitting there, there was a much older man sitting at the counter and, if I’m being honest, was annoyingly whistling while he drank his coffee at one corner of the counter.

He saw a young couple trying to make do with eating on a sofa, so he graciously offered up his little corner.

I thought, “Ok, I’ll cut him some slack, that was nice.” - whaddya think he did next? Made a beeline for our table, plopped himself right down, and just starting chatting away!

He told us how he “was born on that hill (pointed to the left) and’ll die on that un (pointed to the right)!”

Then he talked about how it’s illegal for doors to open inward in Florida, they all have to open outward because of the hurricanes, and then he mentioned how his uncle used to own a garage in town with a pit in it, for getting up under cars, but those are illegal now because too many guys got under a running car and died of carbon monoxide poisoning, and that happened to a friend and before anyone knew to look for him, the rats had gotten to him and eaten his face off and “down his pants and, you know, ate all that away, too!”

Then he talked about going to the one-building schoolhouse and how the safety department showed them how long it took for cars to stop. Seemed they had a clever thing that dropped a stick of chalk down on the pavement when the brakes were applied and boy, wasn’t that something?!

Then he mentioned how he’d traveled the world, seen the pyramids, been to South America, but his favorite place was “It-lee.”

We never said a word the whole time!

Anyway, later, MrsT and I split a long john (cream stick in the local tongue).

80C394C6-EFC8-4A4C-8861-39A0908D784C.jpeg

Last edited:
Then he talked about how it’s illegal for doors to open inward in Florida, they all have to open outward because of the hurricanes,

Actually, it's not illegal, just against building code after Hurricane Andrew. Our home before we downsized had just started to be built before Andrew and was finished before the building codes were updated. So, we had a door that opened inward but over half of the homes in our community were built after the codes were updated so had outward opening doors.

Wanna know why? The door jamb on an outward opening door helps to prevent the door being blown in from the hurricane force winds.

Wanna know why most doors were inward opening before? If you had an intruder trying to force their way in, it is easier to push against a door to close it than to try to pull it closed.

During Hurricane Katrina, which hit us before moving into the Gulf of Mexico and then devestating New Orleans, I walked over to our front door to peek out through the peep hole in the door to see what was going on outside. Our door was strongly vibrating. Craig had to go out in the garage and scrounge around for 2x4s and long screws, and get his drill. He ended up putting 3 or 4 of the 2x4s across our door and drilling into the door frame to make sure our front door didn't blow open from the force of the wind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom