What did you cook or eat today (March 2023)?

I made panko breaded fried jumbo shrimp and crispy rice. Yum!
20230325_232037.jpg
20230325_232007.jpg

So a quick evening meal of PPP. ((protein) Pasta, vegan homemade Pesto (sorrel, lemon and walnut) and Peas, with some roasted mock duck.

20230326_173450.jpg

There was also a mid afternoon snack of ice cream (Ben's & Jerry's vegan) with a little date syrup on it for extra stamina to get me their cleaning the mud room this afternoon which was rather dirty to day the last.

20230326_143154.jpg

I was initially at a loss at what to prepare today (06:00). I decided upon pork and potato pasties but not use pork loin but IQF pork sausages. They were already cooked sous vide so I just removed the skins and chopped them up.

Chopped potatoes to around the same size and simmered them in OXO stock with chopped red onion and garlic.

My wife made the pasties and I used the cooking stock as a base for gravy. Roasted potatoes in lard.

Your Parmigiano Reggiano is conspicuously not made by Guggisberg. :D
I bought that because I needed some, and I was curious if anyone here would remember that I mentioned labeling here in the US, and how we don’t really respect all that “XYZ can only come from here” notion.

If it’s labeled “Parmesan Reggiano” - that will always be the imported Italian stuff. If it’s labeled just “Parmesan,” that may come from anywhere!

Actually, it's not illegal, just against building code after Hurricane Andrew. Our home before we downsized had just started to be built before Andrew and was finished before the building codes were updated. So, we had a door that opened inward but over half of the homes in our community were built after the codes were updated so had outward opening doors.

Wanna know why? The door jamb on an outward opening door helps to prevent the door being blown in from the hurricane force winds.

Wanna know why most doors were inward opening before? If you had an intruder trying to force their way in, it is easier to push against a door to close it than to try to pull it closed.

During Hurricane Katrina, which hit us before moving into the Gulf of Mexico and then devestating New Orleans, I walked over to our front door to peek out through the peep hole in the door to see what was going on outside. Our door was strongly vibrating. Craig had to go out in the garage and scrounge around for 2x4s and long screws, and get his drill. He ended up putting 3 or 4 of the 2x4s across our door and drilling into the door frame to make sure our front door didn't blow open from the force of the wind.
Interesting- I always thought that building codes specified outward-opening doors in the case of fire. If you’ve got a whole bunch of people trying to leave a place at once in a big hurry, an inward-opening door (which requires you to step backwards to open it) will trap people inside the building and can contribute to crowd crush deaths. It’s also why many doors have the crash bar openers.

I imagine this is only for public buildings though, residential may be different.

I’ve got beef stew in the slow cooker for dinner. I was a bit hungover this morning (last night was my brother’s birthday celebration, my sister-in-law tempted me with margaritas…) so I’m impressed I managed to get out of bed and get everything into the slow cooker in a reasonable amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom