What did you cook or eat today (March 2023)?

It has been sandwiches and leftover dirty rice for me today. I need to do some clean-up in the kitchen before I cook anything new. It is risky loading the dishwaher with my current back issues. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :wink:

CD

Today I bought about a half pound filet of fresh Atlantic grouper. I mixed some melted Kerry Gold butter and cream cheese, slivered red bell pepper, slivered red onion, chopped garlic, diced fresh spinach, chopped fresh oregano, Cajun seasoning, lemon juice, and shredded parm with panko bread crumbs, then diced some leftover cooked shrimp and stirred it in. I cut the filet in half, seasoned it with more Cajun seasoning and butter, and stuffed the mixture inside. I'm baking it now. I'll make a small lemon cream sauce to top at finish and serve with white basmati rice.

So guess whose been playing in the kitchen?

2 dishes made

The recipe states
It's delicate in flavour but so deeply aromatic that's its hard to stop eating it.
Yep, they're right.

And our evening meal is cooked, just not assembled. It comes together at the end.

Nachos, or a deconstructed taco salad:

5AB93750-1390-4D84-90B7-2E059E090FDC.jpeg

There are precisely 12 tortilla chips under there, then some ground beef-mushroom mix, cheese, lettuce, red bell peppers, corn, tomatoes, onion, jalapeños, salsa, and sour cream.

So I did the last of the cooking for about the next month or two, today...

A Ratatouille (I'm not certain why we refer to it as "vegetable ratatouille" but...)

And a totally new dish and a rare dessert

(The colours are much more accurate in this version that the earlier version I had at lunch (Yeah I ate it twice. I could hardly not serve any to hubby. I also now have "permission" so to speak, to track down a decent rosewater for the next time it is made. I think we'll also increase the number of green cardamom pods as well. )

Saturday breakfast - eggs, bacon, avo, tomato, grated aged goats cheese & lettuce/rocket on split & toasted sour dough roll
5ECFA120-77EC-43DD-B843-FB77537B6164.jpeg

Sunday breakfast - I opened a package of very old Swiss style cheese - this is from the artisan cheese maker I rep for - it was quite funky. I used the rind in a kimchi toasted sandwich.
BA9C8D75-5858-4A7C-96AE-21F2106DDC75.jpeg

Sunday night. By request. The incredibly inauthentic carbonara from Jamie at Home. This is my kids favourite pasta of all time I think.

Also a side of cucumber, avo, feta salad with dill
BECF2B9B-B7CF-4747-B6AB-1E4F25D4DC7C.jpeg

I had to look that one up. I found Laab Moo, which is a Thai salad? Ground pork was the first ingredient, which means it is a Yorky approved dish. :okay:

CD

We can spell it however we like but I tend to accentuate the arrrr as the local Thais do. The Thai word is ลาบ which means salad. In this case as you so rightly say, moo is pork. Other meat can be used, e.g. laarb gai (chicken); laarb neua (beef - sometimes raw); laarb pedt (duck); and apparently laarb pla (fish) although I've not come across that.

I find that the main flavour comes from the fish sauce, lime juice, chillis (of course) and particularly the mint leaves. It is very popular in these parts.

The Thai cooks here don't grind or mince the meat but chop it very finely. My wife won't let me use the electric chopper for the meat - it has to be cut by hand. In fact it is unusual that my wife lets me cook this on my own without interfering.

Edit: this is laarb pedt (carry oot from a local restaurant -

Last edited:
We can spell it however we like but I tend to accentuate the arrrr as the local Thais do. The Thai word is ลาบ which means salad. In this case as you so rightly say, moo is pork. Other meat can be used, e.g. laarb gai (chicken); laarb neua (beef - sometimes raw); laarb pedt (duck); and apparently laarb pla (fish) although I've not come across that.

I find that the main flavour comes from the fish sauce, lime juice, chillis (of course) and particularly the mint leaves. It is very popular in these parts.

The Thai cooks here don't grind or mince the meat but chop in very finely. My wife won't let me use the electric chopper for the meat - it has to be cut by hand. In fact it is unusual that my wife lets me cook this on my own without interfering.

I do like a Laab, with plenty of chilli. Koh Lanta where I stayed the last two times is a predominantly Muslim island so tends to just do chicken or lamb versions.

Edit: This could easily be a cook along topic, because you can do it with tofu or mushroom to make a veggie version.

I do like a Laab, with plenty of chilli. Koh Lanta where I stayed the last two times is a predominantly Muslim island so tends to just do chicken or lamb versions

I've never come across a lamb version although finding lamb for sale here is difficult. Occasionally Makro have it frozen and about 15 years ago there was a Brit with a sheep farm about 20 km east of here. He's long gone though.

The Thai cooks here don't grind or mince the meat but chop in very finely. My wife won't let me use the electric chopper for the meat - it has to be cut by hand. In fact it is unusual that my wife lets me cook this on my own without interfering.

Thanks for that explanation. From what I understand, I think it is something I would like. I'll have to do some more research and find some recipes. If you can steer me in the right direction, that would be nice.

CD

Back
Top Bottom