What did you cook or eat today (May 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Panackelty (also spelt panacalty, panaculty, panackerty and pan haggerty). Its a casseroled dish, traditional throughout the northeast of England and especially associated with Sunderland and County Durham, made with tinned corned beef layered with cheese, potatoes and onions. My partner comes from Sunderland and remembers it from his childhood. You really can't go wrong. Its easy, thrifty and tasty:

fullsizeoutput_4695.jpeg

This is one of those dishes that even @morning glory would struggle to make look pretty but it tastes wonderful. It looks even murkier because it's too thick and I don't remove the skins from pumpkins or squash . They are several edible and it's quite common here in Australia not to . So I joined the masses and saved lots of time not removing the skin.

It's a pumpkin/squash and sweet potato, corn chowder. Only there was an amazing lack of sweetcorn in our freezer . I'd made a double batch because of the size of the heritage squash used (a heritage version of a butternut squash) so the dish called for 4-6 cups of sweetcorn which we didn't have .we only had 1/2 cup. .. Most of that found its way into our bowls along with some protein in the form of chickpea burgers which are excellent but a pain in the proverbial to separate from each other even fresh before freezing because the company vacuum packs them with no separation between the burgers! So generally unless you want all 4 in one go, we end up with them in pieces and use them as dumplings/croutons.

_20190504_071636.JPG

I might try again for a better photo tonight or tomorrow when hubby disappears again.

Asian tonight.

Seafood salad, shrimp and squid this time, over a bed of grated carrots and sliced cucumbers, with a kimchi base/honey dressing.

Vege tempura, sweet potato, zucchini and mushrooms, with a sauce made from soft peak whipped cream and wasabi.

Beef tataki, heavily black peppered, seared tenderloin marinated in soy sauce, mirin, garlic, green onions, with a homemade ponzu sauce.
2019-05-03 19.09.20.jpg
2019-05-03 19.08.55.jpg
2019-05-03 19.09.44.jpg

Panackelty (also spelt panacalty, panaculty, panackerty and pan haggerty). Its a casseroled dish, traditional throughout the northeast of England and especially associated with Sunderland and County Durham, made with tinned corned beef layered with cheese, potatoes and onions. My partner comes from Sunderland and remembers it from his childhood. You really can't go wrong. Its easy, thrifty and tasty:

View attachment 24076

Great looking meal, but I can't get my head around tinned corned beef. We have it here, it's a fave with the islanders here and in the islands. Tonga Samoa Cook Islands ect. I would try it though. Your partner is very spoilt. :)

Russ

Great looking meal, but I can't get my head around tinned corned beef. We have it here, it's a fave with the islanders here and in the islands. Tonga Samoa Cook Islands ect. I would try it though. Your partner is very spoilt. :)

Russ

Its a Brit thing (tinned Corned Beef) and probably out of fashion. It works quite well mixed with the cheese, onion and potatoes - no need to add salt though.

Asian tonight.

Seafood salad, shrimp and squid this time, over a bed of grated carrots and sliced cucumbers, with a kimchi base/honey dressing.

Vege tempura, sweet potato, zucchini and mushrooms, with a sauce made from soft peak whipped cream and wasabi.

Beef tataki, heavily black peppered, seared tenderloin marinated in soy sauce, mirin, garlic, green onions, with a homemade ponzu sauce.View attachment 24085 View attachment 24086 View attachment 24087

Three stunning dishes @medtran49. :hungry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom