What did you cook or eat today (May 2020)?

all, I know @SatNavSaysStraightOn is fully capable of doing the things I'm doing today.
¾s of my jobs list on my 4x4 (which is seeing more user than normal, not less due to my parents having hubby's SUV) either involves new wiring, new lights or step ladders! Usually all 3. Got it through its rego luckily, but now I really need to sort the lighting issues out. Unless I'm on main beam, I can't see a darn thing and if I'm reversing, it's by Braille!

And in the interests of the thread... roasted sweet potato and butternut squash soup with IKEA veggie balls and the last of the current block of the baked almond feta cheese that everybody including my mother loves!

Talking of which, she has her 2nd mother's day coming up. She was here in Australia for the British mothers day at the end of March. Well she's still here and it's Australian mother's day on Sunday (and probably American and NZ mother's day as well? ). She's requested jacket potatoes or jacket sweet potatoes with ratatouile and butterbeans. I may have missed the butterbeans but the aubergines in the supermarket today were simply huge so ratatouile is definitely on the list of things for Sunday... (homegrown spuds for the jackets, sweet and normal! ).

A whatever is in the freezer meal.

A gluten free cheese and onion crisp bake.

Daughters cooking leg of lamb tonight with roast veges. I'm being lazy all day. Couple of small jobs to do, replace some bulbs and adjust a tap. I need to take my car for a run, it hasn't started in 4 weeks. It's in the garage with two other cars in the driveway, so it's musical cars to get mine out. Need to check all cars fluids as well. A bloke day today doing manly things.
Not being sexist at all, I know SatNavSaysStraightOn is fully capable of doing the things I'm doing today.

Russ
Talk about being sexist. The term obviously didn't exist for some in the 70's

New Zealand Biscuits.
I think these are actually ANZAC biscuits but they were called New Zealand Biscuits in recipe book. Slightly over cooked unfortunately, I'll have another bash later.
Flour, butter, golden syrup, oats, flour, desiccated coconut, sugar and bicarb.

No pics, but tuna salad on homemade bread and a really simple potato salad made with new potatoes, mayo, sour cream, chives, and salt and pepper.

New Zealand Biscuits.
I think these are actually ANZAC biscuits but they were called New Zealand Biscuits in recipe book. Slightly over cooked unfortunately, I'll have another bash later.

View attachment 40421

View attachment 40422
Yip, I made some a few weeks ago, and posted pics too from memory. They are really nice.

Russ

Store-bought ravioli is a real godsend around here. Let's me concentrate on the sauce/mix-ins.

I was being lazy. I'd been cooking nearly all day, so this was a quick fix for my partner's dinner. I agree that pre-made ravioli is quite a good product if you get the more expensive ones. I do find the fillings a bit 'pastey' though.

New Zealand Biscuits.

View attachment 40421

View attachment 40422

Yeah, that's the ingredients for what we call ANZAC biscuits here. Which stands for Australia New Zealand Army Corp... they (or a close variation of this more modern recipe) are famous for apparently being mailed from down under to men serving on the frontlines in Europe during WW1. They needed to be capable of surviving the weeks or months it took for them to arrive.

We recently had ANZAC Day here (25th April) and we all get to baking our version of them for on and around this day for honouring those who have served in various theatres of conflict throughout our short history.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom