What did you cook or eat today (May 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 6yo Branson calls everyone bra. ( bro)
My second-oldest brother calls everyone (except women) "bro." He always has, even when he was a kid.

He's usually the source of all my favorite off-color sayings and quips, like if he tells you something and you express disbelief, he'll say, "I wouldn't sh!t you, bro, you're my favorite turd!" :laugh:

Anyway, to keep it on-topic, here's tonight's snack (since it's not a full meal):

That's a grilled (as in, pan-fried) piece of marbled rye bread, some sweet & spicy mustard (local product), a grilled (as in, cooked outside on the barbecue grill) brat patty, butterkäse, and the onions from earlier.

I always know I've done a good job in the kitchen when MrsT takes a bite, her eyes roll back in her head, and all she can manage is, "Oh...my...god..." :laugh:

We love butterkäse cheese. Need an excuse to make something with it.
We use it like raclette a lot - I slice or shred a bunch, put it on a plate, then stick in the oven and set the oven to "keep warm."

Then I boil some little potatoes, get out the gherkins, some rye bread or crackers, and by the time that's done, the cheese is melted but juuuuust holding itself together, perfect for smearing.

We love butterkäse cheese. Need an excuse to make something with it.
Another memory:

My favorite German deli (since closed) had the best butterkäse, and they weren't too far from my office. I used to go there for lunch.

One day, just to see what would happen, I ordered a pound of it sliced, went back to work, unwrapped it, gave one slice to a young woman on the far side of the office, didn't say anything else, went back to my desk, opened it back up, and just set it out.

Not 10 minutes later, I had a line of her coworkers at my desk, and then other folks saw the line and wanted to know what was up. That cheese was gone in no time, and after that, all the folks on that end of the building used to call me Cheese Daddy. :laugh:

this is a delicious and ultra-simple chicken dish.
I'm so weary of 1000 ways to cook chicken breast . . . but this is a good one.

original source here:
Crunchy Chicken Breasts Coated In Ranch Seasoning And Cheddar Cheese – Yumfest!

basically, the chicken is marinated in ranch dressing; hours to overnight.
the dressing is used to stick the coating to the chicken.
((air dry the coated chicken for ~ 20 minutes - my add))
baked about 20-25 minutes and it's done.

note that there are no other seasonings - no salt, no herbs, no spices,,,,,
but I did break the rules and added some fresh ground pepper.

the marinade:
IMG-1389.jpg

details / hints:
in our empty nest of two, one medium sized chicken breast, which I sliced into two less thick ~ 1/2 inch pieces:
45g panko
20g grated cheddar
40g grated parmesan (24 month aged - harder and drier)

for the cheddar - use small surface so the cheddar gratings are as short as practical. shorter mixes better in the panko/parm blend.

as a obtw: I've been converted to slicing the mega-chicken-breasts into thinner 'slabs' - they cook more evenly.
those big thick breasts.... the exterior thickness gets over done before the interiors are done.....
in the thinner version, the chicken is done and also fork tender . . .

use the fine side of the grater - big cheese chunks won't work.
grate the cheddar first - it's soft - the harder parm will "clear" the grater.

the gratings:
IMG-1390.jpg

the coated:
IMG-1392.jpg

I bake it on a rack, so it finishes at the low end of the time estimate - about 20 minutes - until instant read thermometer registers 150'F / 65'C

out of the oven:
IMG-1393.jpg

plated for dinner:
(I cut it so the 'thickness' issue is clearer)
IMG-1395.jpg

original source here:

the marinade:
View attachment 62876

details / hints:
in our empty nest of two, one medium sized chicken breast, which I sliced into two less thick ~ 1/2 inch pieces:
45g panko
20g grated cheddar

for the cheddar - use small surface so the cheddar gratings are as short as practical. shorter mixes better in the panko/parm blend.

as a obtw: I've been converted to slicing the mega-chicken-breasts into thinner 'slabs' - they cook more evenly.
those big thick breasts.... the exterior thickness gets over done before the interiors are done.....

the gratings:
View attachment 62877

the coated:
View attachment 62878

I bake it on a rack, so it finishes at the low end of the time estimate - about 20 minutes - until instant read thermometer registers 150'F / 65'C

out of the oven:
View attachment 62879

plated for dinner:
View attachment 62880

I do the same with big breasts of chicken, ours lately are huge. 1 does us both.

Russ

original source here:

the marinade:
View attachment 62876

details / hints:
45g panko
20g grated cheddar

the gratings:
View attachment 62877

the coated:
View attachment 62878

out of the oven:
View attachment 62879

plated for dinner:
View attachment 62880
You ever try partially freezing the cheddar before grating? That looks very good, btw.

This one? The red plate? It is nice! It has a temperament, character...I see a dramatic pile of fruit or something on it to be visually very accentuated...
I did like the bigger white rectangular better, but why not...you could do amazing shots with it...a single shrimp on it...or something...

Look for the post with the Lamb Quinoa Hachée Ronde.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom