What did you cook or eat today (May 2024)?

My son appeared unexpectedly late morning and then cooked us lunch!
Then breaks the news he’s come down to go to the tattoo parlour and runs out of the door!
I’ve not seen it yet and I don’t think I want to!
I still remember the heart stopping moment when DD came downstairs one morning shortly after her 18th birthday and pulled up her sleep shorts to show me the tiger head on her lower hip/upper thigh she had gotten the night before.

She had asked us the day before what we would do, she lived with us and was pretty much totally supported by us, other than a part-time job for more fun money, if she got a tattoo, knowing we weren't thrilled with the idea from prior discussions, mainly because her plans were to enter the corporate world. This was almost 30 years ago so tattoos would have been looked down on then. We told her we'd think about it overnight. So, she decided it was better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

It wasn't that we were against a tattoo entirely, we just wanted her to wait and mature a little more, be sure that she really wanted it, and not just because some of her friends had gotten one, and that was going to be our answer.

No, she had no consequences, other than being told no more as long as we were supporting her.

Last night, I had half a can of Progresso beef vegetable and barley soup with half a baked potato with butter and sour cream.

Craig had a sub with ham, Genoa, hot Capicola, hot cherry pepper relish and red wine vinegar and EVOO dressing.

We both had the same for breakfast today.

I still remember the heart stopping moment when DD came downstairs one morning shortly after her 18th birthday and pulled up her sleep shorts to show me the tiger head on her lower hip/upper thigh she had gotten the night before.

She had asked us the day before what we would do, she lived with us and was pretty much totally supported by us, other than a part-time job for more fun money, if she got a tattoo, knowing we weren't thrilled with the idea from prior discussions, mainly because her plans were to enter the corporate world. This was almost 30 years ago so tattoos would have been looked down on then. We told her we'd think about it overnight. So, she decided it was better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

It wasn't that we were against a tattoo entirely, we just wanted her to wait and mature a little more, be sure that she really wanted it, and not just because some of her friends had gotten one, and that was going to be our answer.

No, she had no consequences, other than being told no more as long as we were supporting her.
I just don’t want him to cover his body in things he thinks are cool aged 21 that later he’ll regret, but he is 21 and it’s his body so I said what I thought about a year ago before his first one and now I refrain from saying anything.

Back then I did asked him to keep them off his lower arms incase he wants to change direction job wise later on and suggested he keeps some skin space for later on when his tastes have changed, no need to fill every inch right now!

Technically we are very much financially supporting him and worse still I gave him the money for it by paying him to dog sit while I was away! 😂

We grew up having breakfast, dinner, and supper. I call them breakfast, lunch, and supper, and the generation after me calls it breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I’m transitional. :laugh:

My niece continually makes fun of me for saying “supper,” because to her, it sounds like something from 1840.
I actually always thought of (and still do) of dinner being something separate from supper, as in 4 meals. Supper to me was the equivalent of tea time. When I was growing up in the south, I would get up around 5 a.m., eat breakfast, feed the horses, muck the stalls (if it was a weekend or in the summer, no school) and eat lunch around 11, go riding for a few hours, clean the tack, go up to shower and have a light supper around 4, then dinner at 7, and all of those meals were hearty portions except the supper. And I weighed about 110 pounds when I was 17!

Nowadays I don't get up nearly as early and I'm not as active, so I eat 2-3 light meals usually (with the exception of my ginormous hoagie a few times a month).

Edited to add: looks like my family got it wrong! Although it is a separate meal for some folks, our timings were off compared to others.
Supper vs. Dinner: Why They’re Not Really the Same

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing the story. The teen period is so full of challenges. I really appreciate to hear those. My daughter is sixteen this year...

The meatballs rut got me to try stuffed tomatoes instead. I had ground turkey.

Other than, at least to my taste, undersalting the tomatoes, it came out rather good.

I used soaked and soy sauce flavoured oat and chia instead of rice or bread within the meat filling...the meat was far more than the 5 tomatoes, so I fried up some hamburgers, of some sort. They were actually good too.

Simple boiled potato and a tomato (inner), green onion and green olives salad, with the gorgeous pumpkin seed oil.

20240504_140340.jpg
20240504_140624.jpg
20240504_152930.jpg
20240504_153046.jpg
20240504_152906.jpg
20240504_150727.jpg

Tonight we had American fish and chips or French fries as we call them here. The cod was caught off the coast of Alaska. The beer batter was made with an American beer made in Boston. The homemade tartar sauce featured dill pickles made in Michigan and the dish was topped off with Idaho russet potatoes fried to a golden color. It is one of my favorite dishes from the UK and one of my favorite dishes from anywhere. True comfort food. Sorry, I didn't have time to take a photo.

Back
Top Bottom