What did you cook or eat today (November 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you suck the heads ?

I don't. Never had the stomach for it. However, they, together with the rest of the shells, make an excellent tom yam stock.

I watched our Malaysian partner's chief accountant suck the heads out on a number of occasions.

I don't. Never had the stomach for it. However, they, together with the rest of the shells, make an excellent tom yam stock.

I watched our Malaysian partner's chief accountant suck the heads out on a number of occasions.
The guy that built my upstairs eats the whole thing, head and all. Even I don't do that.

Russ

Russer mate I watched these shrimp fritters cooked in the streets of Ayamonte on the Spanish Portuguese border. It is one of the main Tuna and seafood ports on the Atlantic side. I have cooked it many times in the UK I then forgot about it till your comment above. If you can get little shrimps like these below. Make a thin batter out of flour, baking powder, water. ( it must be thick enough so the fritter spreads out but does not break up) add the shrimp and a load of spring onions, mix then drop spoonfuls into a wok to deep fry. Everything becomes edible fishy crispyliciousness.
These cost 20 kuna a kg or about £2.30 a kg

They are so beautifully green and spinachy! My sort of food.

Thanks! At first I just wanted to make classic crespelle filled with spinach, then I’ve changed my mind and thought to something different. If I’ll have any chance today (I’ll be busy with charity center) I might make cannelloni with those spinach crespelle

I think I remembered that you didn't like Chia seeds from this post. I'm not keen on them either.
Good memory. That was based entirely on hospital food which frequently included them and what you can purchase in a pot resembling yoghurt.

I've since come across them in biscuits of all things and they are gone there.

Guys, you need to watch the video. Soak them in full cream coconut milk, rum, honey, and vanilla overnight. You'll love them, I promise!!
Err, I fail at the rum and honey. Not keen on either tbh. Coconut milk or cream, I need to pass on at present, (though Ayams do an excellent one which we keep in stock all the time) calorie watching big time. I'm off my feet totally due to a knee injury. Even moving the knee is causing lots of pain and no healing. If it is kept straight and non-weightbearing it is improving, so I'm literally at the do nothing stage currently. Speaking with my doctor again on Monday. Last thing I need right now is to put any weight on sadly. It will neither help me, my head, my knee or my osteoarthritis... or mutt chronic back pain... grrr. 1 chocolate a day is pretty much all I'm allowed through December. And 1 snack in the morning (sub 75kcals). It's a must for the moment sadly. But there will be homemade eggnog with sweetened condensed coconut milk when the Christmas tree goes up. Uses the egg yolks whilst I use the whites for the meringue in a meringue cake for Christmas Day. And allows a free extra calories for our wedding anniversary and two family birthdays over the Christmas week...

Only by you southern jessies, oop north it is called a Turkey batch, barmcake etc etc. My personal favorite descriptive name is the Bap.
View attachment 51486
I grew up with it as a bap or stottie (larger version in the Lake District).
Hubby knows it as a muffin or barmcake.

Hubby made evening meal. Due to the heat the usual was cancelled (it uses the oven). The rice was made whilst it was still cool (since when 22°C is cool I don't know, but they had been the coolest it had made it all day here).

Rice salad with chopped marinated tofu, cucumber and tomatoes. He's still working of presentation!

It may seem like a lot of tofu, but it is a single portion.

Hubby made evening meal. Due to the heat the usual was cancelled (it uses the oven). The rice was made whilst it was still cool (since when 22°C is cool I don't know, but they had been the coolest it had made it all day here).

Rice salad with chopped marinated tofu, cucumber and tomatoes. He's still working of presentation!

View attachment 51487
It may seem like a lot of tofu, but it is a single portion.
This is one of my all time fav Sichuanese vegetarian recipe
1606561431596.png

Pock-marked old woman's tofu recipe.

Good memory. That was based entirely on hospital food which frequently included them and what you can purchase in a pot resembling yoghurt.

I've since come across them in biscuits of all things and they are gone there.

Err, I fail at the rum and honey. Not keen on either tbh. Coconut milk or cream, I need to pass on at present, (though Ayams do an excellent one which we keep in stock all the time) calorie watching big time. I'm off my feet totally due to a knee injury. Even moving the knee is causing lots of pain and no healing. If it is kept straight and non-weightbearing it is improving, so I'm literally at the do nothing stage currently. Speaking with my doctor again on Monday. Last thing I need right now is to put any weight on sadly. It will neither help me, my head, my knee or my osteoarthritis... or mutt chronic back pain... grrr. 1 chocolate a day is pretty much all I'm allowed through December. And 1 snack in the morning (sub 75kcals). It's a must for the moment sadly. But there will be homemade eggnog with sweetened condensed coconut milk when the Christmas tree goes up. Uses the egg yolks whilst I use the whites for the meringue in a meringue cake for Christmas Day. And allows a free extra calories for our wedding anniversary and two family birthdays over the Christmas week...

Totally understand where you're coming from. I'm someone who has struggled with weight problems all my life, and understand from first hand experience the health implications of carrying extra pounds.

I kind of have a bit of a warped sense of humour sometimes, making jokes that I'm sure I'm the only one that gets. Making a "natural healthy" chia based dessert that had 1/3 cup of raw rum in it is something I created for my own amusement. And seemingly that's reflected in reality as that video has had hardly any views, except for my own handful.

I hope you overcome the difficulties healthwise you're facing, our physical health has such an impact on all aspects of our lives including our mental well-being.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom