What did you cook or eat today (November 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last nights medium langoustine with wedges and a green salad. Pud apple pancake and fresh plum conserve.
1604289399190.png
1604289434260.png
1604289456862.png
1604289477397.png
1604289507702.png

My information on black cumin (right or wrong) is:

"Black cumin comes from Bunium bulbocastanum, a plant species in the Apiaceae family, and is sometimes called blackseed or black caraway. If you picture white cumin seeds (which are used frequently in Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern cuisines, to name but a few), black cumin seeds"

and this is the seed that I have:

View attachment 49537
I just made chili tonight. I always roast the cumin seeds in a pan for about a minute, then I grind them. I literally just got done making a chicken chili. I always put about double the amount of cumin. I use 2 Tbsp for a pound of meat (2 cans of beans, corn, and a large can of tomatoes, plus peppers). The smell of roasting cumin seeds makes the world a better place.

I just made chili tonight. I always roast the cumin seeds in a pan for about a minute, then I grind them. I literally just got done making a chicken chili. I always put about double the amount of cumin. I use 2 Tbsp for a pound of meat (2 cans of beans, corn, and a large can of tomatoes, plus peppers). The smell of roasting cumin seeds makes the world a better place.

I always reduce the amount of cumin in any recipe that calls for it. It is very strong. In small amounts, I like what it adds, but large amounts are overpowering, to me. Maybe I am just more sensitive to cumin than average.

CD

Last edited:
Cooking Back ribs out here in Death Valley Ca.
Smoked with pecan and cherry wood.
View attachment 49628

View attachment 49629
The red n pink color is from the smoke ring amplified by the tomato based barbecue sauce.
2hrs in the smoker at 225f then in the casserole style crock pot 4 hours on high.
Conventional crock pot 3 hours on High to low.

Seems every time I cook them I improve them.
Last batch seemed dry.
A tip by a Cue master (Tulane football coach) suggested I let them rest to room temperature between the smoker and crock pot.
Retains moisture. Yes it most certainly does.
Whodathunkit?View attachment 49630
Divers mate, I love the smoke patina on the door.

I always recuce the amount of cumin in any recipe that calls for it. It is very strong. In small amounts, I like what it adds, but large amounts are overpowering, to me. Maybe I am just more sensitive to cumin than average.

My wife doesn't like cumin but as she has ceased to eat beef, I don't compromise my chilli-con-carne recipe. I use cumin in potatoes which she also doesn't eat. I don't add cumin to rice or noodles!

Last edited:
I always reduce the amount of cumin in any recipe that calls for it. It is very strong. In small amounts, I like what it adds, but large amounts are overpowering, to me. Maybe I am just more sensitive to cumin than average.

CD
I'm in the middle - I'd use the amount called for in the recipe. It's not something I love or hate. It's just there.

MrsT, however, doesn't like cumin much at all, so I usually halve it for her. I'm making chili tonight, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom