What did you cook or eat today (November 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Thanksgiving at my husband's nephew's place. He smoked a turkey and his fiance made macaroni and cheese, cornbread stuffing, and green beans. I brought the whipped potatoes and freshly made bread. Really good.
View attachment 76008
View attachment 76009

My best ever Thanksgiving was the year my ex-wife and I stayed home and cooked with a couple down the street. I smoked a turkey, my wife baked amazing breads, and our neighbors cooked great sides. Just the four of us -- no relatives! :chef:

We even got to use our Ethan Allen dining room furniture, Royal Doulton China, and Waterford gold rimmed crystal -- one of maybe two times we used any of it. :facepalm:

CD

View attachment 76011
Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich.

I don’t know why I have never done this before. From top to bottom, the sandwich contains mashed potatoes, bean casserole, stuffing with sausage in it, and turkey. Gravy is in front of it for dipping. I considered using one of the dinner rolls, but they were too small, so I used sourdough bread.

This is how it looked before I squished it down in a Panini maker:

View attachment 76010
The beans kept falling out, but they stayed in place after being in the Panini maker for a while. My one regret is that I didn’t hide the bacon fried brussels sprouts that I also made. That would’ve been amazing the sandwich. But, everything worked extremely well together. The Thanksgiving dinner was almost entirely from Meijer, a Michigan based supermarket. Everything was very good.

Even the cranberry orange relish was good, but I wasn’t quite ready to mix that with the rest of the ingredients. But, I have plenty of leftovers, so I will give us a try some other time.

I believe we Americans are the best at making food that begins with two slices of bread. :okay:

CD

Yes, we are known for doing that, too. :laugh:

Legend has it that that a British gambler is responsible for the invention of the sandwich, and the French are known for their cheeses, but we Americans put the two together and ran with it.

CD

A possibly history..

"The sandwich as we know it was popularized in England in 1762 by John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich. Legend has it, and most food historians agree, that Montagu had a substantial gambling problem that led him to spend hours on end at the card table. During a particularly long binge, he asked the house cook to bring him something he could eat without getting up from his seat, and the sandwich was born. Montagu enjoyed his meat and bread so much that he ate it constantly, and as the concoction grew popular in London society circles it also took on the Earl’s name."

Cooked for mom today
Quadrucci in chicken and tomato broth, then purple cauliflower au gratin with Provolone

I needed to make a new thumbnail for my curry pan video, but haven't felt like making curry pan until today. I didn't show you how lovely curry pan is from the inside. Voila! The rich color comes from browning, adding water, drying it out and adding water again (and again and again -- at least three times).

Now I have bunches in the freezer and a big pot of curry for rice and udon. :)
curry pan-4.jpg

I needed to make a new thumbnail for my curry pan video, but haven't felt like making curry pan until today. I didn't show you how lovely curry pan is from the inside. Voila! The rich color comes from browning, adding water, drying it out and adding water again (and again and again -- at least three times).

Now I have bunches in the freezer and a big pot of curry for rice and udon. :)
View attachment 76030
Fabulous!

View attachment 76011

I don’t know why I have never done this before. From top to bottom, the sandwich contains mashed potatoes, bean casserole, stuffing with sausage in it, and turkey. Gravy is in front of it for dipping. I considered using one of the dinner rolls, but they were too small, so I used sourdough bread.

View attachment 76010
The beans kept falling out, but they stayed in place after being in the Panini maker for a while. My one regret is that I didn’t hide the bacon fried brussels sprouts that I also made. That would’ve been amazing the sandwich. But, everything worked extremely well together. The Thanksgiving dinner was almost entirely from Meijer, a Michigan based supermarket. Everything was very good.

Even the cranberry orange relish was good, but I wasn’t quite ready to mix that with the rest of the ingredients. But, I have plenty of leftovers, so I will give us a try some other time.
Thank you for not adding the Cranberry orange relish too. Good as a side but I don't think In the same bite with the Sammie.

How are you feeling? Glad you had/have an appetite.

We have Meijer in Ohio, too. They had turkeys for .33 cents a pound last week.

My best ever Thanksgiving was the year my ex-wife and I stayed home and cooked with a couple down the street. I smoked a turkey, my wife baked amazing breads, and our neighbors cooked great sides. Just the four of us -- no relatives! :chef:

We even got to use our Ethan Allen dining room furniture, Royal Doulton China, and Waterford gold rimmed crystal -- one of maybe two times we used any of it. :facepalm:

CD
They've coined the phase Friendsgiving for that nowadays. When I was single and living in Florida I did that all the time, but not on the actual holiday. I would have it once with family and then once with friends. It wasn't always turkey.

I can't wait to cook my turkey this weekend. After brining, I'll put fresh jalapeño slices and garlic cloves under the skin and slow roast it with jalapeños stuffing. So good!

View attachment 76011

View attachment 76010

I'll admit, as someone who's mildly phobic about some foods touching other foods, I've never gotten the allure of "the Thanksgiving dinner sandwich." :headshake:

This is always my next-day sandwich...turkey sliders with lettuce, mayonnaise, and mustard:

I'll admit, as someone who's mildly phobic about some foods touching other foods, I've never gotten the allure of "the Thanksgiving dinner sandwich." :headshake:

This is always my next-day sandwich...turkey sliders with lettuce, mayonnaise, and mustard:

View attachment 76039
View attachment 76040

GEEZ!
Now I wish that I had made my CI Skillet Rolls for sliders, dang it!
But, we don't that much turkey leftover and that's already been
deemed dinner again tonight, so there's that.
Maybe I can find another turkey tenderloin ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom