What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barley vegetable soup (not homemade)

yesterday I spotted a recipe that provided a solution the the bunch of over-ripe bananas in the fruit bowl.
I'm on record as being utterly disgusted with overripe bananas, but then I found this very short video of putting them to good use, and now I make this rather frequently:

View: https://youtu.be/3pwfy6LFLdw

Let me know if the content is blocked and I'll post the recipe. It really is about a five-minute job to turn out some frozen banana...sorbet?

^ It isn't blocked. TastyReuben, I share your disgust with overripe bananas. I always buy the tasteless and greenish underripe ones: love 'em. They may taste a bit like raw avocado or paper but I don't care :D. Rather them than the sappy overripe ones. They go in the oven (with juniper berries) or into smoothies. A very nice, simple recipe. Thanks.

^ It isn't blocked. A very nice, simple recipe. Thanks, TR.
I've gone from buying four bananas a week and eating then quickly while they're still green, to buying eight or 10, so I have some to get overripe so I can make that. I have a tub in my freezer right now.

Oh dear. I never use bird's eye (prik kee noo here) in curries or chillis. Tom yam yes, but they go in there whole so can be easily removed.

My only answer is that I don't know how to correct an overdose of chillis. More yoghurt perhaps? Or more tomatoes. I guess that it would just need to be diluted but then you are losing the essence of the dish.

Keeping toilet rolls in the freezer may be a remedy.

I've heard of some remedies, from adding sugar to adding peanut butter. The only way I know of that works, for sure, and doesn't change the flavor of the dish, is to dilute it by adding more of everything in the recipe, except the chilis.

CD

Last edited:
^ It isn't blocked. TastyReuben, I share your disgust with overripe bananas. I always buy the tasteless and greenish underripe ones: love 'em. They may taste a bit like raw avocado or paper but I don't care :D. Rather them than the sappy overripe ones. They go in the oven (with juniper berries) or into smoothies. A very nice, simple recipe. Thanks.

Banana bread (with or without nuts) uses overripe bananas. I love banana bread (with pecans).

CD

Banana bread (with or without nuts) uses overripe bananas. I love banana bread (with pecans).

CD
Yep, thanks for the tip, CD. I've never made banana bread (another dish to learn!) but I sometimes get rid of the blackened ones by baking a cake.

We still have some homegrown potatoes and carrots left so today's a gauzy veggie Saturday. I just cooked the veggies in water and let the mixer roar. Juniper beef stew is brewing in the oven for tomorrow; you didn't think I'm fi-nal-ly done with the recipe challenge, did you :D.

soppa_uusi.JPG

soppa.jpg

I'm on record as being utterly disgusted with overripe bananas, but then I found this very short video of putting them to good use, and now I make this rather frequently:

View: https://youtu.be/3pwfy6LFLdw

Let me know if the content is blocked and I'll post the recipe. It really is about a five-minute job to turn out some frozen banana...sorbet?
Sherbet because it's got dairy in it mate. I make the same thing using strained yogurt. Try frozen figs or very ripe pears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom