What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last nights 3 meat meatloaf, shredded cabbage fried low and slow in butter, gravy made from proper chicken stock and pan juices. The baby weighed in at 1.5 kg so plenty cold for tonight.
Because I can't get a hire car till next week. They will not accept my UK driving licence because of the Brexit confusion. I have to exchange it on Wednesday at the Police station. We use the bus to go to a shopping and market area in a very large social housing complex. I found a new butchers shop had opened. The owner was trained in Northern Ireland which is renowned for butchery skills. He speaks excellent English as does his assistant so the craic is good. This was were I bought the delicious calves liver. For meatloaf, burgers etc we both like equal portions of Beef, Veal and Pork. He was happy to mince the mix. I baptisted every morsel in my cabbage font of gravy.
1602304417019.png
1602304444778.png

Last nights 3 meat meatloaf, shredded cabbage fried low and slow in butter, gravy made from proper chicken stock and pan juices. The baby weighed in at 1.5 kg so plenty cold for tonight.

You like to grill and smoke foods. Try smoked meatloaf, sometime. That's the only way I make it, now. I use charcoal and hickory wood chunks. It only takes about an hour -- the ground meat really take the smoke well in a relatively short time. I use a 50/50 mix of beef and pork -- veal is out of favor in the US.

Meatloaf001.jpg

Try it!

CD

Last edited:
Try smoked meatloaf, sometime.
Doggers mate I think you gave me this advice before. With winter coming we will transfer the majority of the low and slow to the wood burning oven /grill in the garden . First I will cook it in the peka inside the oven with the doors closed. To produce the smoke Carmilo uses soaked vine pruning added to the hard wood fire.
1602306752054.png

I seldom ever eat cake, and it's even rarer that I make it, but yesterday I spotted a recipe that provided a solution the the bunch of over-ripe bananas in the fruit bowl. Date, banana and walnut cake - it's not much to look at, but it is divine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom