What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a view of the "sauce itself".
We are off to the spice shop today to get a jar along with other stuff. I used the last on the veal. It is black and thick with the same consistency of grinding paste. I will take a pic.

Bavette steak, mushrooms stuffed with Boursin, jacket potatoes with spring onions. Cooking the bavette, the thinnest steak I have ever cooked, was a bit scary. 30 seconds hot sear on each side, including finishing with butter, garlic and thyme before resting for 10 mins. It was good, but I think the lack of searing and finishing time required to keep it rare robbed it of some of the flavour you would get with a thicker steak. It would be perfect in a sandwich though.

Bavette steak, mushrooms stuffed with Boursin, jacket potatoes with spring onions. Cooking the bavette, the thinnest steak I have ever cooked, was a bit scary. 30 seconds hot sear on each side, including finishing with butter, garlic and thyme before resting for 10 mins. It was good, but I think the lack of searing and finishing time required to keep it rare robbed it of some of the flavour you would get with a thicker steak. It would be perfect in a sandwich though.
View attachment 48472
A penny for my thoughts. Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZztrDsOUJeI&ab_channel=GeneDoytch

We are off to the spice shop today to get a jar along with other stuff. I used the last on the veal. It is black and thick with the same consistency of grinding paste. I will take a pic.

I can get the brand you showed on line, but think I'll rather make my own - it seems to have a lot of additives and sugar is the first ingredient:

Ingredients:Water, Sugar, Soy Sauce (Water, Soy Bean, Salt, Wheat, Colour E150a, Glucose-Fructose Syrup), Salt, Oyster Sauce (Water, Sugar, Salt, Oyster Extract, Modified Corn Starch, Colour E150a), Yeast Extract (Yeast Extract, Water, Salt), Tomato Paste, Black Pepper Powder (4%), Dehydrated Garlic, Modified Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Colour (E150c), Acid (E330), Flavour Enhancers (E631, E627).

Far as I can deduce from googling home-made recipes its basically a mix of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and black pepper plus some sort of sweetener.

I can get the brand you showed on line, but think I'll rather make my own - it seems to have a lot of additives and sugar is the first ingredient:

Ingredients:Water, Sugar, Soy Sauce (Water, Soy Bean, Salt, Wheat, Colour E150a, Glucose-Fructose Syrup), Salt, Oyster Sauce (Water, Sugar, Salt, Oyster Extract, Modified Corn Starch, Colour E150a), Yeast Extract (Yeast Extract, Water, Salt), Tomato Paste, Black Pepper Powder (4%), Dehydrated Garlic, Modified Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Colour (E150c), Acid (E330), Flavour Enhancers (E631, E627).

Far as I can deduce from googling home-made recipes its basically a mix of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and black pepper plus some sort of sweetener.
Never read that mate, thank you I must look for a new brand with all the above and Monosodium glutamate.

We had chicken and blue corn pozole, and I made a big pot so that will also be on menu for next week. It had a dried chile sauce on the side that you added to your liking, and boy was it spicy! No pic because my phone died right after I snapped and it didn't save, so next week. I was a bit disappointed that the dried blue corn kernels lost most of their color as they cooked, though you could still get the definite blue corn taste.

Never read that mate, thank you I must look for a new brand with all the above and Monosodium glutamate.

OTOH I may order some next time I do an Asian shop on-line. It would be good to know what I'd be aiming at if I make it at home. Its relatively cheap here even though its on-line.

A scone sliced in three pieces with strawberry jam and clotted cream.
View attachment 48482

Ah - the jam first then the cream. There is much argument about which way round: the cream tea dilemma. Traditionally, it has been that people in Devon spread clotted cream on the scone, then finish with a dollop of jam, while the Cornish tradition does the reverse, with jam going first and clotted cream on top.

There is also argument about how to pronounce scone... to rhyme with gone or with bone? Its a North/South and class divide!

There is also argument about how to pronounce scone... to rhyme with gone or with bone? Its a North/South and class divide!
I pronounce it "franklin," I think that's the right way. The s is silent. As are all the other letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom