What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah - the jam first then the cream. There is much argument about which way round: the cream tea dilemma. Traditionally, it has been that people in Devon spread clotted cream on the scone, then finish with a dollop of jam, while the Cornish tradition does the reverse, with jam going first and clotted cream on top.

There is also argument about how to pronounce scone... to rhyme with gone or with bone? Its a North/South and class divide!

I expected somebody to mention this :laugh: our Dutch equivalent of this discussion is whether fries should be called ''friet' (fries) or 'patat' (potatoes). One half of the country calls them friet (I am #teamfriet) and the other says patat.

I am a Cornish clotted cream spreader :laugh: #teamcornish. And I say scone as in 'gone' as I learned from my English hosts.

Last edited:
It's getting chilly here in northern IL so I'm making a pot of chili. I'll accompany it with sweet golden cornbread. I have a million apples so I'm thinking of making a batch of apple butter for a few friends and me. I also have some bananas that need to be used so I'll make banana bread. Nothing fancy. I've used all these recipes as starting points and tweaked them over the years for my family's tastes. They are tried-n-true. Let me know if anyone is interested in my tweaks.

Tried-n-True

Flatlander Chili
Golden Sweet Cornbread
All-Day Apple Butter
Janet's Rich Banana Bread

It's getting chilly here in northern IL so I'm making a pot of chili. I'll accompany it with sweet golden cornbread. I have a million apples so I'm thinking of making a batch of apple butter for a few friends and me. I also have some bananas that need to be used so I'll make banana bread. Nothing fancy. I've used all these recipes as starting points and tweaked them over the years for my family's tastes. They are tried-n-true. Let me know if anyone is interested in my tweaks.

Tried-n-True

Flatlander Chili
Golden Sweet Cornbread
All-Day Apple Butter
@MJD, I would love to know your tweaks on the chili and cornbread recipes - please 😃

Tried-n-True

Flatlander Chili
Golden Sweet Cornbread
All-Day Apple Butter
I've been getting round to making apple butter all week, but I may actually get started tomorrow. Any tweaks on this recipe please?

Last night’s dinner was at a local winery.
Grilled Halibut on bok choy - very good.

Early dinner, wife has to,go to work for two hours. Same as Yorky minus the beans. Add two free range eggs, Chips and one sausage each. New source of sausages, I'm very happy with them, just plain beef.

Russ

Texas BBQ joints are known for beef sausages. Most sausages in the US are pork (or chicken for the health conscious).

CD

Bavette steak, mushrooms stuffed with Boursin, jacket potatoes with spring onions. Cooking the bavette, the thinnest steak I have ever cooked, was a bit scary. 30 seconds hot sear on each side, including finishing with butter, garlic and thyme before resting for 10 mins. It was good, but I think the lack of searing and finishing time required to keep it rare robbed it of some of the flavour you would get with a thicker steak. It would be perfect in a sandwich though.

I had to look up Bavette steak. It is called flap steak here. It is not popular here, yet, so perhaps I can get it for a decent price. I read that it is a good substitute for skirt steak for fajitas. You cook it the same way -- hot and fast, and leave it rare to medium rare.

I don't recal ever seeing it in the supermarkets. But, I'd like to find some and try it.

CD

Ah - the jam first then the cream. There is much argument about which way round: the cream tea dilemma. Traditionally, it has been that people in Devon spread clotted cream on the scone, then finish with a dollop of jam, while the Cornish tradition does the reverse, with jam going first and clotted cream on top.

There is also argument about how to pronounce scone... to rhyme with gone or with bone? Its a North/South and class divide!

Over here, we rhyme scone with bone. I put the clotted cream on first, then the jam.

CD

I had to look up Bavette steak. It is called flap steak here. It is not popular here, yet, so perhaps I can get it for a decent price. I read that it is a good substitute for skirt steak for fajitas. You cook it the same way -- hot and fast, and leave it rare to medium rare.

I don't recal ever seeing it in the supermarkets. But, I'd like to find some and try it.

CD
It is also called goose skirt in the UK. This was the first time I have seen and bought it, direct from a stall at a farmer's market. It was from organic, grass fed longhorn cattle, reared locally. I can see it working in fajitas, or any type of sandwich - it's marbled but doesn't have any connective tissue to hinder biting through it.

Tried-n-True

Flatlander Chili
Golden Sweet Cornbread
All-Day Apple Butter

Having lived in Texas since 1974, the flatlander chili recipe looks okay. I was surprised to see the cajun "holy trinity" used in it (onion, celery, green bell pepper), I would substitute the tomato juice and sauce for canned whole tomatoes, squished up by hand. That gives you some pieces of tomato. Lose the sugar! Try pinto beans instead of kidneys -- we never use kidney beans in chili here. Look for Ranch Style beans, and try them, if you can get them. The herbs and spices look good. Cornbread is an excellent side, or you can crumble it up in the bowl, and serve the chili on top.

Here is a chili where I used squished whole tomatoes, and Ranch Style beans.

Chili001-1000.jpg

CD

caseydog

Chili

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 ½ cups chopped onion
½ cup chopped celery
¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
¼ cup chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon white sugar
⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 cups canned red beans, drained and rinsed

MJ's Tweaks and Tips

2 lbs ground beef is overkill. I use 1 lb or, at most, 1.25 lbs.
Omitted tomato juice and tomato sauce
Fresh or canned tomatoes (about the equivalent of 4 cans)
Cook in Crock-pot (approx. 4-6 hours on low, 6-8 hours on high; watch it)
I am a recipe jump starter so I usually have fresh cooked red beans on hand.

------------------------
Cornbread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
⅔ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
⅓ cup vegetable oil

MJ's Tweaks and Tips

I use 1/3 or 1/4 cup of sugar. It is more of dessert as originally written.
Sometimes, I add a TBsp of vinegar (or lemon juice) to 1 cup of milk (sit for 5 mins.) to make buttermilk.

Variation: Add a can of cream corn (lessen the milk).
Variation: Add whole corn (drained) and jalapeno peppers.

Hope this helps Let us know how it turns out!

It is called flap steak here.
I've read that flap meat here can also be labeled as sirloin steak tips, which is what I used the last time (or the time before) I made Philly cheesesteaks. Worked out fine, and I got it at...Walmart.

epicuric

Apple Butter

5 ½ pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
4 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt

MJ's Tweaks and Tips

You only need to core, peel and half the apples. They will be mushy enough to mash with a potato masher.
I also found that I needed to keep the lid off longer than stated in the recipe. Just watch, stir occasionally until it gets to the consistency you like.

Hope this helps Let us know how it turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom