What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had crab curry that my mom made. It was Atlantic crab not the Mozambican crab my grandmother got us used to, there’s definitely a difference.
Yes.
I don't know about Mozambican crab but the local crab that I eat has a flavour unique to whichever species I eat.
From lobster through to chancre (brown edible crab), spider crab and lady crab (velvet swimming crab)
Does a curry tend to slightly swamp the flavour in your opinion?

Yes.
I don't know about Mozambican crab but the local crab that I eat has a flavour unique to whichever species I eat.
From lobster through to chancre (brown edible crab), spider crab and lady crab (velvet swimming crab)
Does a curry tend to slightly swamp the flavour in your opinion?
It doesn’t offset the flavor. But good quality crab has a different flavor, at least the Mozambican crab I remember tastes more “meaty” and “fuller”, it’s hard to explain.

Crab isn’t something common in Portugal but it was a tradition from my mother’s family that lived in Mozambique until the 70s when the seafood was dirty cheap. Back then when you went out to a bar you got a free small plate of tiger shrimp with every beer...good times :D

Pickled garlic with bay, ginger and chilli, perfect beer snack!

But good quality crab has a different flavor, at least the Mozambican crab I remember tastes more “meaty” and “fuller”, it’s hard to explain.

Nope. Completely get what you mean.

Locally the flavour of spider crab is slightly 'sweeter' or lighter than other crab.

Chancre or brown edible crab is a much stronger, almost cheesy, flavour.

Lady crab has , to me, almost a mild umami flavour.

Nope. Completely get what you mean.

Locally the flavour of spider crab is slightly 'sweeter' or lighter than other crab.

Chancre or brown edible crab is a much stronger, almost cheesy, flavour.

Lady crab has , to me, almost a mild umami flavour.

View attachment 47563

View attachment 47564

View attachment 47565
There’s a lot of different crab out there. My grandparents were used to Mozambican crab and always told us that’s the good stuff don’t ever eat crab from other places. Crab is difficult to find in Portugal and expensive so we just grab what we can. We’ve had Nigerian crab and Atlantic crab but nothing as good as Mozambican crab.

God I miss pork pies.
Why do you miss them, they must be easy to obtain in Shropshire?We don't get involved in christmas per se but for our close friends in the UK (7) we would make food gifts. We would bake the cakes in Jan, pin and vacuum pack with Osborne Brandy. Then finish in December. Normally I used a jam jar as a mold for the pies. Gala style made more sense for a chrimbo gift. The major player in a good pie in my opinion is the jelly. We may revisit our tradition this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom