What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it work, putting mint sauce on the mushy peas?

God I miss pork pies.

Generally I tend to add mint sauce to mushy peas when they are accompanying a pie. Many times I stir the mint sauce into the peas during re-heating but this time I didn't.

I never add mint sauce if the peas are accompanying fish and chips.

standing rib roast
I had to look that up. Over here that would just be called 'rib of beef'. Wiki suggests it's called 'standing' because it's usually cooked standing on the bone. Is that true? It would never occur to me to cook it that way, but then I only usually cook a two rib piece anyway, which would fall over. My favourite cut of all, but yes, it's pricey. I think the last two-rib joint I bought was about £35.

Yellow curry with lots of vegetables and some heat to beat the cold.

I cooked a standing rib roast today. My first time. I looked up recipes, and cooking times and temperatures were all over the map. So, I picked one that looked right, and used it. My meat came out medium, instead of medium rare. It was done long before the time recommended by the recipe. Good thing I had a probe thermometer in the meat, or it would have been well done.

Served with onion and mushroom gravy.

View attachment 47483

CD

Looks good!

No wonder people are put off cooking! I looked up sous vide cooking times for the duck breasts I was doing on Thursday night - they varied between 45 mins and 3 1/2 hrs, at not greatly differing temperatures.

Best way, although I suspect my meat thermometer is a bit out. Last couple of times I've relied on it I've ended up with overcooked meat. I know meat carries on cooking, but not by this much! Talking of which, this is an excellent read:
View attachment 47523
I need to read it again, because it's been a while, and I forget. The author is both a chef and a scientist, and the book goes into great detail on what happens inside a piece of meat when cooked. Not suggesting you need any educating BTW!

The book is forwarded by Adam Perry Lang, who is well known in the US, and well respected. I'll check it out. :thumbsup:

For sous vide times and temperatures, I use ChefSteps guide. It has been pretty reliable, so far. And yes, I too have seen widely varying times for sous vide from one recipe to anther.

CD

I had to look that up. Over here that would just be called 'rib of beef'. Wiki suggests it's called 'standing' because it's usually cooked standing on the bone. Is that true? It would never occur to me to cook it that way, but then I only usually cook a two rib piece anyway, which would fall over. My favourite cut of all, but yes, it's pricey. I think the last two-rib joint I bought was about £35.

I don't know if that is the reason it is called a standing rib roast, but you do cook it with the bone side down. I had a two rib piece today. It took some work to get it to stand up, but it stood up for the entire cooking time.

CD

I've no idea if the theory has any basis in fact, but I always go for hot curries when I have a cold too. Looks fantastic - your photography is going great guns!

Thanks, I have figured out that putting my plate in a different spot makes all the difference apparently . Now I still have to work on plating itself. I may be a cook but I was a caterer and always just shoved stuff into big bain maries so thats why thats a whole new game to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom