What did you cook or eat today (October 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
none of that ridiculous blousing around the waist that happens as a shirt works its out of the waistband, and no slouchy socks.
British gentlemen like moi wear sock garters and cummerbunds
1601697156698.png
1601697085054.png

If I ever decide to start baking, I'm not going to do it when I need bread "today." I'll do it when I have time to go slow, and if I mess it up, no loss.

CD
I was referring to TastyReuben giving me a recipe for 40 minute buns. I am one of the world's laziest bakers and had never made buns before. When i bake its generally from a box mix or frozen dough. I followed the very easy recipe because I needed hamburger buns. Sure enough, it took me less than an hour and they were far better than any bakery buns. It would be easy enough to shape them into rolls if you wanted.

I cooked a standing rib roast today. My first time. I looked up recipes, and cooking times and temperatures were all over the map. So, I picked one that looked right, and used it. My meat came out medium, instead of medium rare. It was done long before the time recommended by the recipe. Good thing I had a probe thermometer in the meat, or it would have been well done.

Served with onion and mushroom gravy.

View attachment 47483

CD
Awesome!

I cooked a standing rib roast today. My first time. I looked up recipes, and cooking times and temperatures were all over the map. So, I picked one that looked right, and used it. My meat came out medium, instead of medium rare. It was done long before the time recommended by the recipe. Good thing I had a probe thermometer in the meat, or it would have been well done.

View attachment 47483

CD
I would scoff that in a heartbeat. Bravo!

When I looked at the probe thermometer about an hour before it was supposed to be at the internal temperature I wanted (medium rare), and it was about ten degrees North of that, I freaked out. I yanked it out of the oven, and put the meat on a cutting board to rest. The whole time it rested, I was worried that I'd just ruined an expensive cut of meat.

When I finally sliced it, and saw pink, I was so relieved. It was done more than I wanted, but I didn't ruin it.

The flavor was right on target, and it was still tender and juicy. So, I guess I can't complain. I am so glad I checked the the thermometer when I did. Another hour and it would have been ruined.

I'll know what to do, next time.

CD

View attachment 47483

CD

You could just post that in a magazine. Beautiful.

cooking times and temperatures were all over the map
No wonder people are put off cooking! I looked up sous vide cooking times for the duck breasts I was doing on Thursday night - they varied between 45 mins and 3 1/2 hrs, at not greatly differing temperatures.
at the internal temperature I wanted
Best way, although I suspect my meat thermometer is a bit out. Last couple of times I've relied on it I've ended up with overcooked meat. I know meat carries on cooking, but not by this much! Talking of which, this is an excellent read:
1601716737447.png

I need to read it again, because it's been a while, and I forget. The author is both a chef and a scientist, and the book goes into great detail on what happens inside a piece of meat when cooked. Not suggesting you need any educating BTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom