What did you cook or eat today (September 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a couple of fried eggs with fresh thyme and grated Parmigiano

Looks like a grilled burger. Nothing wrong with that. I like a hamburger steak probably better than cubed steak.

CD
It's funny, because both MrsTasty and I said, "This would make a good burger."

I've known cube steak to be used only for two things: country fried steak with cream gravy and pan-fried with onion (or mushroom) gravy. When I found this recipe for simply grilling it (90 seconds on one side, 60 on the other), I was suspicious, especially it being so thin), but it still came out medium and getting tossed in some vinaigrette while it rested was a nice little extra flavor boost.

Snooker today so the norm would have been char siu noodles carry oot. However, it's the start of a bank holiday weekend and the owners of the best stall have gone to their family home for the weekend (about 100 km north). Luckily the Hainanese chicken carry oot was open because I had nothing else prepared. I was tired so these are some that I snapped earlier....

Pad Thai, my first attempt. May not look pretty but was bloody tasty!!View attachment 45943
View attachment 45944
I have a pad Thai recipe I like, but I make it about once a year, because it's a butt-ton of work and has about 30 ingredients, many specialty (to me), and if I want to eat at 6PM, I have to start prepping at about 2PM, and I need every dish in the house, it seems.

First, a simple salad:
For the dressing, I used a trick I learned from Pepin years ago: when you get to the end of a jar of mustard (or in this case, mayonnaise), there's always that bit you can't get out.

Instead of tossing it, add all the remaining ingredients for a simple vinaigrette (or in this case, a basic dairy-based dressing), give it a shake, and you've got your money's worth from that jar. This dressing had sour cream, garlic, lemon juice, chives, salt, pepper, and buttermilk added.

About to roast some tomatoes, shallots, and smashed garlic:

Added some zucchini and fresh corn:
Finished with fresh basil, Romano, butter, pepper flakes, toasted pine nuts, and some herbes de Provence:

Last edited:
First, a simple salad:
For the dressing, I used a trick I learned from Pepin years ago: when you get to the end of a jar of mustard (or in this case, mayonnaise), there's always that bit you can't get out.

Instead of tossing it, add all the remaining ingredients for a simple vinaigrette (or in this case, a basic dairy-based dressing), give it a shake, and you've got your money's worth from that jar. This dressing had sour cream, garlic, lemon juice, chives, salt, pepper, and buttermilk added.

About to roast some tomatoes, shallots, and smashed garlic:

Added some zucchini and fresh corn:
Finished with fresh basil, Romano, butter, pepper flakes, toasted pine nuts, and some herbes de Provence:

That's me in about 3 months, looks real good.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom