What did you cook or eat today (September 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a very long wait between soaking and cooking them, here is the lunch I’ll have instead for dinner tonight: stewed black chickpeas with pancetta

Sadly, we have many, many names for the human genitalia. Peter is one of them. The salt peter thing turns out didn't work, and was dangerous -- liver and kidney damage. I'm guessing that is why it is not used these days for curing meats. I use a blend of sea salt and pink salt to cure meats.

CD
I had a linguistics class in college where I learned that the number of words a culture has for a particular thing relates to the importance the culture places on that thing. As you say, we have many different terms for...this. Likewise, there are a staggering number of terms (pun intended) for drunkenness. I don't think I need to explain why this is an important term. :laugh:

Interestingly, I was told (back in the 80s) that there were 50 different terms for snow in "Eskimo" (political correctness hadn't made it's way that far north at that point... Inuit is what we would say today). It turns out that this is a myth (which apparently even University professors didn't know at the time). According to this article, the Inuit don't have that many names for snow because "they don't need them".

However, the same article goes on to say the following:

In 2015, researchers at the University of Glasgow found that Scots have 421 terms to describe their country’s wintry conditions,including “snaw” (snow), “sneesl” (to begin to rain or snow) and “skelf” (a large snowflake). In Spain, there are 7 different words to describe rain despite it having one of the best climates in the world.

I tried a new recipe for tuna salad: cream cheese, mayonnaise, toasted pecans, black olives, and canned tuna.

Meh. I prefer my usual recipe.

I tried a new recipe for tuna salad: cream cheese, mayonnaise, toasted pecans, black olives, and canned tuna.

Meh. I prefer my usual recipe.
I understand...that seems like a bit of a reach. There's a lot going on there. I think I'd like it without the pecans or cream cheese.

But, if you change pecans to almonds, you have an entry for the Almond Recipe Challenge!

Banana Cream Pie
Graham cracker crust

Baked and cooled the crust
Made the custard (egg yolks, coconut milk, half n half, sugar, corn starch, butter, vanilla)
After cooling the crust, a thin layer of custard, layer of bananas and then thick layer of custard)

In the fridge for the pie to cool, thicken and “set”
Whipped the cream and topped the pie

Will post a pic of a piece of pie when we serve it.
Pictures aren’t as pretty as others post on here but, it sure tasted good as I sampled during cooking process 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom