What did you cook or eat today (September 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
7DAA0524-7507-4EC3-8A1A-F0D50ADB57D1.jpeg

I wasn’t quick enough with the camera, but the kimchi I made two days ago bubbled and fizzed when I opened the jar. This is an awesome sign that it’s fermenting.

This was a simple recipe, with mostly just red cabbage and carrots, as well as other standard ingredients like green onions. I decided to use the red Serrano and a green Serrano for my garden. This gives it a nice level of heat.

epicuric: I really did like your suggestion to make a dip with roasted peppers, but I only have one little red pepper at this point. I believe I will be doing what you suggested with green peppers: I have about 10 little green Serranos at the moment.

Pickled Greek Salad -
I decided to make pickled tomatoes. I noticed that all pickled tomato recipes pair the tomato with something you would want to eat the tomato with if it weren’t pickled. This evolved from that concept. I wouldn’t normally put a pickled ingredient in a pickling recipe. I’m not sure what kind of impact it will have, but I’m not worried about that.

One thing I did not do was add sugar. This is a pet peeve of mine: recipes that add sugar to already sweet natural ingredients, like tomatoes and beets.

These are the sort of things I would have in a Greek salad. I used red wine vinegar and Greek oregano from my garden. The pickled beets are from the same jar that I extracted a pickled egg that I used in an earlier post here.

No… I am not planning on putting feta cheese into the jar!

Last edited:
I made my lemon pie ice cream this time lactose free and gluten free. I also added guar gum to see how if it would improve the texture and I should wait until tomorrow to know if it does have an impact. But I need someone to keep me from eating all of the ice cream now 😭
Do you deliver? Yum.

Russ

Dog mate. Nitrates, under their popular name of saltpeter, have been used in meat products, fish and cheese for many centuries. They have been used to prevent blowing of hard cheeses by the action of gas-forming bacteria. The main reason for their inclusion in hams and sausages was their ability to fix the red color of meat, although at the same time they exerted valuable antimicrobial activity against Clostridium botulinum.

Sodium nitrite is more common here, AKA "Pink Salt."

Potasium nitrate, AKA "Salt Peter" is more commonly used in fertilizer and fireworks today, not for food.

I was referring to the (myth) usage of salt peter, which was also once used on the foods of adolescent boys and cheating husbands to keep their "peters" out of commision.

CD

This is my second harvest of the basil, and first of the oregano...I had plucked the leaves off to make a pesto, and not all of them had grown back when I decided to use it for the sauce. This is my first season with it. Do you transplant in the winter, or does it not get cold enough in Dallas for you to worry?

My basil dies every year at the first frost. I just dry, or vacuum seal and freeze what leaves are there before the frost. My oregano, thyme and rosemary survive all year.

CD

I was referring to the (myth) usage of salt peter, which was also once used on the foods of adolescent boys and cheating husbands to keep their "peters" out of commision.
AAAAAAAAH I see. I thought Johnson was the American colloquialism for the smekkle ?

AAAAAAAAH I see. I thought Johnson was the American colloquialism for the smekkle ?

Sadly, we have many, many names for the human genitalia. Peter is one of them. The salt peter thing turns out didn't work, and was dangerous -- liver and kidney damage. I'm guessing that is why it is not used these days for curing meats. I use a blend of sea salt and pink salt to cure meats.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom