What did you cook or eat today (September 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a mini high tea with my best friend. Her Victoria sponge with lemon cream filling was a belated birthday present. I made cucumber sandwiches and cheese bites as a side.

We went out to a place last night that I've been wanting to try for years but we never made it because we tend to decide to go out last minute and this place was always totally booked pre Covid. I did make reservations a week ago to get the time we wanted but discovered didn't really need to do that as, like most places now, business isn't fully back to pre Covid levels. There's a program running now called Dine Out Fort Lauderdale that quite a few restaurants participate in and The Cook and The Cork has a prix fixe 3 course meal for $45. We chose to get that.

Sorry about the pictures. I tried to fix the color but phone editing is limited. The restaurant had very minimal white lighting and lots of red so color skewed way red.

First courses

Shrimp tempura with sweet Chile glaze, honey Wasabi and Asian slaw.

Pork belly bao buns with pickled cabbage.

Second courses

Duck confit over cheddar grits and an edemame, black eyed pea, corn, red bell medley.

KFC or Korean Fried Chicken with Wasabi potato mash, Asian slaw and cucumber kimchee. The sauce is gojuchang based.

We both ordered Ghirardelli trifle that on the menu was supposed to be mixed with a butterscotch mousse but it came with just regular whipped cream. Was a bit disappointed over that but the rest of the food was fantastic and we were so full probably wouldn't have ordered dessert if we were ordering from regular menu anyway.

They have a huge small plate menu for such a small restaurant and I think we'll try that next time. A table across from us was doing that and everything was cleaned off the plates when the staff removed them, even the octopus plates they ordered. The short rib entree a young man ordered at another table looked delicious and he practically inhaled the short ribs so they must have been good.

Today's meal was cold cuts sandwiches on Russian rye bread with Mission black dates.

full.jpg

The sandwiches included horseradish, horseradish mustard, Romaine lettuce, pea shoots, onion tomato, pastrami, sopressata, prosciutto, pepperoni, Canadian bacon and mozzarella cheese.

Wife's away, so that leaves me free to concentrate on proper pizza:

That's two kinds of cheese, my sauce, topped with the pesto I made yesterday and some of the peppers I pickled.

That dough hung out in the fridge 30 hours - the other half I'll have tomorrow, so we'll see if it's any better. This one was pretty good. A bit oily from the pesto, but that was a bonus to me.

We have a 6kg Queensland blue squash that we grew last Autumn and plan to make a very nice and wonderfully simple squash, sweet potato and corn 'chowder'. I had only planned to use ½ of the squash for the chowder. It serves quite a few as it is but I guess I'll be using all of it now! The squash to sweet potato ratio is roughly 1:1. I think about 30 servings will be going into the freezer!
Excellent. I love having a freezer full of home cooked meals. I take 4 frozen lunches to work each Monday and buy a roll on Fridays from the bakery.

Curry night here.

I made butter chicken - which I removed half of for the freezer before adding the parboiled potatoes. I also removed a small container of lamb curry (mine) from the freezer so we could have 2 dishes on the table.

I made a kachumber salad, well, 2 separate ones as my son hates cucumber, nuked some papadums & made a quick coriander yogurt raita. I cooked a mixed rice dish - black rice, brown rice, red lentils, basmati rice & peas. Adding things in according to their cooking time of course. Wasn’t exactly fluffy rice but it wasn’t stodgy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom