What did you cook or eat today (September 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha ok, linseed isn't something I've seen or used here. We use it for wood. Flaxseed oil is an omega 6 over here and it's not used for cooking for the most part or shouldn't. Interesting what's used in different parts of the world.

EDIT: are you referring to the seed and not the oil?

Yes I was referred to the seeds and they are also visible in the photo along with sesame and pumpkin ones.
As far as I know, the oil here is used too but less and only raw, never heated. It’s considered as a good thing here

Last edited:
Yes I was referred to the seed and they are also visible in the photo along with sesame and pumpkin ones.
As far as I know, the oil here is used too but less and only raw, never heated. It’s considered as a good thing here
Yes, non-toxic (the oil), though I never knew that until today. The only thing I ever used it for was in painting so many years ago. Come to find out it's good for arthritis? Who knew. I as of yet do not have arthritis, thankfully, but my mother had it when she got older so it's likely an eventuality. Now I know what I can use!

Yes, non-toxic (the oil), though I never knew that until today. The only thing I ever used it for was in painting so many years ago. Come to find out it's good for arthritis? Who knew. I as of yet do not have arthritis, thankfully, but my mother had it when she got older so it's likely an eventuality. Now I know what I can use!

Well, I really hope you won’t have to use it for that.
Here it is what I found about it:

5 Amazing Flaxseed Oil Benefits (And How It Can Help Inflammation) – NWA Interventional Pain Rogers Arkansas

Who is on the edge of sanity, you and your sister or your parents? Or all four of you?

Well, I really hope you won’t have to use it for that.
Here it is what I found about it:

5 Amazing Flaxseed Oil Benefits (And How It Can Help Inflammation) – NWA Interventional Pain Rogers Arkansas
Yes, it is marketed as a supplement in the US under the name flaxseed oil (it's often kept in the refrigerated section at healthfood stores), but no one over here refers to foodgrade flaxseed oil as linseed oil, even though apparently it is the same thing. I've seen flaxseed oil at stores for many years and never made the connection.

I learn something new everyday!

I had a bacon cheeseburger for lunch with mayo, mustard, and ketchup, along with fresh garden tomato and lettuce. It looked a lot like the one I posted last week so I didn't bother boring you all with a photo.

Today's meal was a light one, - steamed cayenne pepper sauced cabbage and onion with tomato, Annaheim pepper and anise seeds.

full.jpg

This turns out to be a favorite short meal for me, often with only cabbage, onion and cayenne pepper sauce.

Yes I was referred to the seeds and they are also visible in the photo along with sesame and pumpkin ones.
Ok. linseed or flaxseed oil as it's known here is sold as an omega 6 supplement for health and sold in opaque or metal containers usually refrigerated. The reason for that is because it is a polyunsaturated oil and therefore very susceptible to spoilage, oxidation and goes rancid almost immediately from either light, oxygen or heat which is not good health wise, it creates free radicals which are carcinogenic within our cells. Heating flax can cause it to polymerize quickly and actually it will do that without heat and valued for woodwork and painting because polymerizing is a desired attribute. Not very healthy if you consume heated flax oil. Strange how something can be good or poison which is all context and dosage. Consuming the natural flax seed is perfectly acceptable here , which I do from time to time. Mother nature was very considerate to put the oil in a nice seed pod to protect us mere animals from those volatile situations where the oil could be compromised. I digress, and thanks again.

Last edited:
Spaghetti ‘Carbo-Fredo’. :) At least that’s what I call it because it isn’t a true Carbonara by virtue of it having a dash of cream in it. Also my wife doesn’t like guanciale (boooooo!) so I just use smoked streaky bacon:

View attachment 70655

That looks gorgeous. How can your wife not like guanciale?

I took a lot of art classes in school and painted with oil on canvas. It was 40 years ago, but pretty sure it is used with oil paints. I'll Google it later to double check.

Well maybe, now that I think of it. I hated my required painting classes in college, so I blocked them out my memory. :laugh:

CD

Hahaha ok, linseed isn't something I've seen or used here. We use it for wood. Flaxseed oil is an omega 6 over here and it's not used for cooking for the most part or shouldn't. Interesting what's used in different parts of the world.

EDIT: are you referring to the seed and not the oil?
Interesting discussion.
I use flaxseed as seed and flaxseed flour. Never used flaxseed oil. So far.

Flaxseed is healthy, but I forgot for which nutrient.

Is flaxseed and linseed the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom