What did you cook or eat today (September 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's breakfast was bacon and sunny-side up eggs on Russian rye bread with hash browns.

full.jpg

There's a lot of hash browns here, because it's the last I have available.

Today is the day I make 24 rum babas at the restaurant and just received my molds from France. Took 3 months because the company I purchased these from are also the manufacturer and they've had a steel shortage.

Anyhow, I've been using a silicon muffin form which has worked well but I suspect that the metal will give the body of the baba a more golden and caramelized glaze from the sugar that is used to line the molds than the silicon and of course it's more traditional. I have 12 molds so I'll take pictures comparing. Just things that make the learning curve interesting as a cook.

Today is the day I make 24 rum babas at the restaurant and just received my molds from France. Took 3 months because the company I purchased these from are also the manufacturer and they've had a steel shortage.

Anyhow, I've been using a silicon muffin form which has worked well but I suspect that the metal will give the body of the baba a more golden and caramelized glaze from the sugar that is used to line the molds than the silicon and of course it's more traditional. I have 12 molds so I'll take pictures comparing. Just things that make the learning curve interesting as a cook.

Very curious to see your Babà

My d.i.l birthday today, I txted her and thanked her for being a nawesome mum to my grandys. Her choice for Sunday dinner this week.
She txt back :
Entree chicken croquettes
Main fillet Mignon with potato dauphinois plus veges
Dessert chocolate mousse.

First two items I have in my freezer. My freezer contains 30 plus croquettes and 18 fillet steaks.

Russ

Yesterday was pub day with my punting mate dafyd. I picked up a bacon egg n cheese burger with a scoop of fries on my way home.
Cup of earl this morning, I'll have a look in the freezer for dinner tonight, it will be a surprise.?

Russ

Are you back around for a while? Good to hear from you.

CD

I've not seen that on a menu in the UK in decades. Is that a 'retro' dessert in Canada or is it an everyday thing?
I made them for an F1 weekend for the French Grand Prix earier this year and I posted a pic I believe. Anyway I put it on the menu to see how it was accepted and it was a hit, so it's been a staple on the menu ever since. It's also a staple on the Alain Ducasse Paris menu. One of my friends Tom who is part of our F1 group has been to Alain's Paris restaurant twice and has had the rub baba, so that's how it ended up in our F1 France weekend. But yeah, it's not traditional and not seen very much on todays menu's probably do to the preparation and labor costs. most kitchens today just bring in desserts for the most part but we make everything from scratch and it was something that i wanted and glad I did.

Last edited:
Our booking at Tetsuyas was cancelled due to Covid lockdown so my friend made a special midweek birthday* dinner for me.

Sydney rock oysters with red finger lime pearls

Snapper stuffed with lemon & dill topped with a cumin & coriander chilli crisp + asparagus & green beans

Choc tart shell filled with roasted strawberry labneh

*it’s not my birthday until the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom