What did you eat/cook today (February 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we buy pomelos already peeled from the supermarket, the segments are almost perfectly prepared. Unfortunately my wife was trained in peeling eggs, not preparing pomelos so we end up with this if we buy whole from the market:

pomelo cut s.jpg

It still tastes the same.

Last edited:
I peel with a normal vegetable peeler and chop into cubes for adding to stews and casseroles, soups etc.

View attachment 5479 View attachment 5480
I think its a very underrated vegetable. I cooked swede myself yesterday in a vegetable curry. I love it mashed too, as a side dish - try adding a bit of orange juice or Angostura bitters to ramp up the flavour.

Influenced by @Yorky's often recurring mushroom sauce I did an experement and it turned out fantastically well, we will be doing it again very soon:

Sausage and Mushroom Carbonara Jackets.

20170222_175353.jpg

For those about to ask what it is and how to do it:

Chop some British style sausages into five or six chunks each, slice large field mushrooms and dice an onion. Fry them off until cooked through then add a pot of supermarket (best quality) ready made carbonara sauce. Heat through, adjust the seasoning and serve over a jacket potato.

A very pleasing result and an easy midweek meal.

It's only like a turnip in that it is a root vegetable. Swedes have yellow flesh and are slightly sweet.
Turnips have white flesh and have less flavour.

This is a turnip.
IMG_20170222_182220875.jpg

In Italy is called cavolo Navone I read(cabbage Navone). But it's a vegetable quite difficult to find, very little used. Infact I never seen it before. But now I'm very curious to taste...Have to go to Sweden?:happy:
It's only like a turnip in that it is a root vegetable. Swedes have yellow flesh and are slightly sweet.
Turnips have white flesh and have less flavour.

This is a turnip.
View attachment 5483

Carbonara sauce? Curious..
Influenced by @Yorky's often recurring mushroom sauce I did an experement and it turned out fantastically well, we will be doing it again very soon:

Sausage and Mushroom Carbonara Jackets.

View attachment 5482

For those about to ask what it is and how to do it:

Chop some British style sausages into five or six chunks each, slice large field mushrooms and dice an onion. Fry them off until cooked through then add a pot of supermarket (best quality) ready made carbonara sauce. Heat through, adjust the seasoning and serve over a jacket potato.

A very pleasing result and an easy midweek meal.

Carbonara sauce? Curious..
I know, it's a British supermarket tradition to take from other's food cultures and package them for easy consumption.

I have had several carbonara dishes in Italian restaurants in England, and this pot of creamy, gloopy sauce is nothing like the real thing, but it works in its own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom