What did you eat/cook today (January 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No custard?
no custard. I wasn't in the mood for making any and there was no room in the dish. We did consider a couple of options, soya condensed milk, coconut condensed milk or homemade soya yoghurt (remember the rhubarb crumble was cold) but in the end, lacking soya cream (which is amazingly hard to get hold of here in Aus and very expensive. In the UK a fresh pot twice the size of what I can get here costs roughly £1. Here it is AUD $5 if I can even find any... there is a single shop I know that stocks it in Canberra and it is not in a place we visit very often or very convenient because we don't go passed it very often either - but at that price I might consider trying to make my own from soya beans which are very easily available. Sadly supermarkets here have yet to suss out soya cream which is available in just about every supermarket in the UK (often in both UHT and fresh versions, not that here is much taste difference tbh).

Sadly supermarkets here have yet to suss out soya cream which is available in just about every supermarket in the UK (often in both UHT and fresh versions, not that here is much taste difference tbh).
I've never thought of using it (or even noticed it!) as I suppose I don't need to, as everyone here is OK with lactose. Is it less calories?

I've never thought of using it (or even noticed it!) as I suppose I don't need to, as everyone here is OK with lactose. Is it less calories?
pretty certain it is, yes. Alpro do it. The fresh is advertised as 42% less fat (122 calories per 100g) and the UHT is 169 calories per 100 grams... .
There is also a very nice coconut one which is excellent when something needs coconut milk and you don't want all of those calories, it is 9% fat and 30% less fat than coconut milk and only 100 calories per 100g. We went over to this completely in the UK for anything needing coconut milk, cream of coconut or coconut cream.
There are a couple of other companies that do various other alternatives including an oaty cream (again very nice) and another soya cream which is the only one we have come across over here, though I have just potentially found an online shop that might do some british goods for delivery in Aus.

We had Mexican food for lunch. Soft boiled (3 minute) eggs and toast for dinner.

Soldiers?

softboiledeggs.jpg

A couple of previously baked jackets re-heated, mushroom sauce, tomato and a little grass....

jackets - msauce s.jpg

Today we had chicken breasts cooked with cream, white wine and tarragon. I followed a French recipe which turned out OK I think. We had some potatoes and asparagus to go with it.

Today we had chicken breasts cooked with cream, white wine and tarragon. I followed a French recipe which turned out OK I think. We had some potatoes and asparagus to go with it.
Can you tell us the recipe? Post it as a new thread. We love recipes!

I mentioned in another post that my daughter has been diagnosed as lactose intolerant (which can make for interesting meal times in their house, as no one else is). We had home made mince pies when I was up there with lactofree cream - that cream was gorgeous. Don't know about the calories though and I didn't have any of their milk, whether lactose-free or homogenised. I took my own :D.

We went out tonight to The Lobster Bar. We had a fantastic meal. I had half lobster, braised radicchio, new potato fries & gremolata. Not bad value for £15, I think. My friend went for grilled prawns. A would recommend this restaurant if you are ever in London.

I cooked a roast chicken plus sprouts and charlotte potatoes, bread sauce and gravy. So simple... but nice. My daughter had vegetarian sausages in place of the chicken. I just love bread sauce!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom