What Do You Do With Salad Cream?

TastyReuben, I have never heard of or seen that product. What made you want to buy it? Was it what you expected when you first tried it?
We used to live in the UK and used it there, mainly just as a condiment in place of mayonnaise.

I buy it regularly now, but I only have a few things I know to do with it, and since it's just MrsTasty and me, it can take a loooooong time to get through a bottle, so I'm looking for some new ideas on what to make with it.

Being that it's imported, it's not cheap, nearly $7US a bottle, and what usually happens is, I'll use it a few times, toss it in the fridge, and there it sits until I find it many months later.

@TR, ah, that makes sense. I'm cooking for one and it's been hard learning how to downsize when one has been cooking for a family of four for twenty years. I live around a bunch of seniors and single men so my neighbors are getting fed constantly.

I thought I was the only person on the planet that forgets about stuff in the fridge. One time, I bought 14 (no joke) sweet potatoes because I forgot I already bought them (for a holiday dish).

Sorry, I have no ideas what you can do with it. I'm looking forward to the responses you get.

Publix carries it here. I noticed it once after we had discussed salad cream in some other thread. I think Morning Glory mentioned it back then. We haven't tried it yet. I figured it tasted like Marzetti's dressing, which we use for coleslaw, kind of sweet and acidic as well.

Salad cream reminds me of my grandparents. Salad of lettuce leaves, cucumber and tomatoes served with tinned salmon, hard boiled eggs, ham or cheese. A dollop of salad cream. Can't say I'm a fan.

I still bear the scars - a beetroot and salad cream sandwich, my two food hell's brought together between two slices of bread. By coincidence I was reminded of salad cream last week. We had a yen for a Caesar salad, but lacked the wherewithal to make one (being on holiday). My wife spotted a packet of Heinz Caesar dressing in a supermarket, and we thought, why not? Tart it up with some extra anchovies and garlic, seasoning etc., how bad could it get? Well, 'salad cream' is how bad it got. I'm sure Heinz must have a special division devoted to the creation of disgusting, taste bud assaulting, stomach churning concoctions of pure evil.

It's funny, Heinz, which is an American company, is popular for different foods here than in the UK. They are not a big player in beans. They are not a big player in soups. They are not a big player in salad dressings, either -- or Mayo. Most people here have no idea Heinz Salad Cream or HP Sauce even exists. The Heinz sauce known well here is Heinz 57.

Heinz is, however, the number one brand of ketchup in the US.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.29.05 AM.jpg

CD

Last edited:
It's funny, Heinz, which is an American company, is popular for different foods here than in the UK. They are not a big player in beans. They are not a big player in soups. They are not a big player in salad dressings, either -- or Mayo. Most people here have no idea Heinz Salad Cream or HP Sauce even exists. The Heinz sauce known well here is Heinz 57.

Heinz is, however, the number one brand of ketchup in the US.

View attachment 47302

CD
It is odd, and your Heinz sauce looks completely different to ours (or is 57 a different sauce?)

You missunderstood (most likely, I wasn't clear). Heinz 57 is a sauce, like HP or A1. The bottle in your post is Heinz Ketchup -- a different Heinz product. Sorry about the confusion.

CD
My mistake! Mention Heinz sauce over here everyone would think 'tomato ketchup'. Is 57 the same over there?

My mistake! Mention Heinz sauce over here everyone would think 'tomato ketchup'. Is 57 the same over there?

Heinz ketchup would be called a condiment over here, not a sauce. Heinz 57 is very different in appearance and flavor.

CD

Heinz ketchup would be called a condiment over here, not a sauce. Heinz 57 is very different in appearance and flavor.

CD
Ah, that divide again! In most cafes and takeaways here you would be offered a choice of two sauces - red (Heinz tomato) or brown (HP or Daddies).

These conversations are making me wonder what planet I've been on. LOL I never heard of Duke's mayo. I have to explore the grocery aisles more.

Blue Plate is another regional brand of mayo. Some folks refer to a dish that has a lot of ingredients as "Heinz 57". I'm not a fan of raisins, but I do like Heinz 57, which IMO is raisin forward.

Back
Top Bottom