What Food is Your Kryptonite?

Great promotion. Who's going to eat one donut? Add a second, and a cup of coffee, and they make money. You might even end up buying a dozen.

CD

Exactly, their marketing people aren't stupid, but consumers aren't either (at least not all) and apparently they are getting some blowback over their strategy.

Exactly, their marketing people aren't stupid, but consumers aren't either (at least not all) and apparently they are getting some blowback over their strategy.

I've heard about that, but in my mind, if someone offers you a free Krispy Kreme donut -- eat it!

CD

I actually don't have one unless it is open.

I can sit and ignore a box of chocolates if it is still sealed.
I could sit and ignore a jar of nutella (can't have it anymore due to dairy allergy) if it had not been opened at all.
I can sit and ignore raspberries if the container is still sealed (don't ask about them on the bush).
I can ignore strawberries, blueberries, crowberries, cloudberries, and so on, if they have not been opened. Again don't ask about them growing wild or in my garden...
I can ignore a box of biscuits....
I can ignore sweets....

I can even ignore a jar of treacle if it has its seal...

And the same applies to garden peas. But I've been known to eat them frozen. If they grow in the garden, they rarely if ever make it inside the house...

I have no discipline once something is open. So generally I don't buy it!

I actually don't have one unless it is open.

I can sit and ignore a box of chocolates if it is still sealed.
I could sit and ignore a jar of nutella (can't have it anymore due to dairy allergy) if it had not been opened at all.
I can sit and ignore raspberries if the container is still sealed (don't ask about them on the bush).
I can ignore strawberries, blueberries, crowberries, cloudberries, and so on, if they have not been opened. Again don't ask about them growing wild or in my garden...
I can ignore a box of biscuits....
I can ignore sweets....

I can even ignore a jar of treacle if it has its seal...

And the same applies to garden peas. But I've been known to eat them frozen. If they grow in the garden, they rarely if ever make it inside the house...

I have no discipline once something is open. So generally I don't buy it!

You just reminded me that I am a sucker for pistachios. If they are in my house, they are gone -- fast. Since they are expensive, I can resist buying them. It took me about 25-bucks worth of pistachios to do my two pistachio challenge entries, because I kept eating them out of the bags.

CD

Oh, another one is deviled eggs. At no other time would I think of eating six or eight eggs in one sitting as a "snack," but put down a tray of deviled eggs in front of me, and I'll eat until they're gone.

Technically, six deviled eggs are only three whole eggs. :thumbsup:

CD

Oh, another one is deviled eggs. At no other time would I think of eating six or eight eggs in one sitting as a "snack," but put down a tray of deviled eggs in front of me, and I'll eat until they're gone.

I could do the same - I just love eggs any way unless they are overcooked scramble/omelette.

Ah yes, I fully understand, I’ve also read somewhere that it would be better to eat fresh fruit in the early morning and/or as mid-afternoon snack and would be better to avoid it in the evening because of its sugar or for digestion 🤷🏻‍♀️.
I haven’t verified this, so it might be not all true
I've also read that it has something to do with the speed of digestion for various foods. Fruit and many vegetables digest quickly. Complex carbohydrates and proteins generally take longer, and also there are food combinations that are better than others. It's quite a complex science, really.

Great promotion. Who's going to eat one donut? Add a second, and a cup of coffee, and they make money. You might even end up buying a dozen.

CD
Me. I would only eat one donut and be fine with it. I like them, especially chocolate covered cream filled donuts, that's probably my favorite. Of course the basic glazed donuts are nice, too, but still. There are other foods that rank higher on the list for me.

I've also read that it has something to do with the speed of digestion for various foods. Fruit and many vegetables digest quickly. Complex carbohydrates and proteins generally take longer, and also there are food combinations that are better than others. It's quite a complex science, really.
Oh yes, the first author I've read about this theme, who's also a nutrition scientist, wrote after all his years of studying, all he can say for sure everyone on this world eats the right things. This was his first advice, you can't eat better just because you change your eating habits and so you shouldn't force yourself to eat better, like other people, his arguments were, even after hundred or maybe thousand years of studying food, we humans still can't eat better than our ancestors (the egypt, greek's, chinese etc.). Why? He doesn't know, but he wrote down everything he knew about the human body and how food affects him, it's so complex and interesting for me.

Whenever I read something about healthy food I try to remember his first lesson, you won't be a better person when you eat an avocado salad compared to a cesar's salad, even if you feel better. I hope you can understand my horrible english and don't forget to be yourself, when you feel better after drinking a green smoothie and you want to tell it your best friend who might be p*ssed of someday, because he wants to enjoy some beer without being lectured... JUST DO IT or don't do it, that's life.
Stay healthy

I'm sure people are surprised that I haven't mentioned a food kryptonite, while I have mentioned having an eating disorder a few times on here.
Point is, I'm mostly recovered from my eating disorder (complete recovery is not something that can really happen, an ED is something you have for life).
And to recover from my type of eating disorder, I had to learn to allow myself ALL foods. Which means that I eat everything in moderation, including sweets and desserts. I'd still rather not eat sweets or desserts at all (which I am trying to reach as a goal) , but having a food as a kryptonite would mean I can't stop eating it once it's there.
I used to binge on lots of foods, being unable to stop eating them. But now I can have foods in the house that used to be my kryptonite, and just eat a moderate amount of them without going over the edge.

Back
Top Bottom