What Goes Into Your Suitcase When You Travel?

Do folks here prefer soft-sided luggage, hard-sided luggage, or no preference?

I prefer hard sided because the baggage handlers at airports aren't kind to luggage but I mostly end up using soft sided because of the weight.

There are lots of these sort of vids but I think this one is the worse because they are clearly trying to break the contents.

View: https://youtu.be/EcxbTwbHd38?si=aNg07YTa6mivPlFq

What is this thing called luggage? Haven't travelled anywhere from home for 5 years. Haven't been in a plane for 25 years. Haven't travelled abroad since 2007 (that was by train).

What is this thing called luggage? Haven't travelled anywhere from home for 5 years. Haven't been in a plane for 25 years. Haven't travelled abroad since 2007 (that was by train).
When you were making your occasional car trips down to the seaside, what did you pack your clothes in?

True to my hillbilly nature, for car trips, I’ve packed clothes for car trips in plastic trash bags, brown paper grocery bags, cardboard boxes…you name it! :laugh:

When you were making your occasional car trips down to the seaside, what did you pack your clothes in?

True to my hillbilly nature, for car trips, I’ve packed clothes for car trips in plastic trash bags, brown paper grocery bags, cardboard boxes…you name it! :laugh:

I don’t know anyone who hasn’t at some point made use of a the oh so chic bin liner wardrobe 😂

I don’t know anyone who hasn’t at some point made use of a the oh so chic bin liner wardrobe 😂
When I was 7yo, I didn’t have a proper raincoat, it was something I’d outgrown and we were always short of money for things like that, and they’d get replaced at the last minute as needed.

First day of school at a new school, pouring rain out, and the way school bus service works here, I had to wait at the bottom of our driveway for the schoolbus to pick me up.

No raincoat, pouring rain, bus is about to come, so Mom grabbed a plastic trash bag, sliced a hole in the bottom for my head, and one on either side for arms, and sent me out the door.

You can imagine how popular “the new kid” was, on his “Raincoat by Glad” togs, especially since the new school I was starting was quite a well-to-do one, where many kids wore designer clothes and didn’t even take the schoolbus to school (“You came on the schoolbus?! Are you pooooooor?! :laugh: “)! :laugh:

When I was 7yo, I didn’t have a proper raincoat, it was something I’d outgrown and we were always short of money for things like that, and they’d get replaced at the last minute as needed.

First day of school at a new school, pouring rain out, and the way school bus service works here, I had to wait at the bottom of our driveway for the schoolbus to pick me up.

No raincoat, pouring rain, bus is about to come, so Mom grabbed a plastic trash bag, sliced a hole in the bottom for my head, and one on either side for arms, and sent me out the door.

You can imagine how popular “the new kid” was, on his “Raincoat by Glad” togs, especially since the new school I was starting was quite a well-to-do one, where many kids wore designer clothes and didn’t even take the schoolbus to school (“You came on the schoolbus?! Are you pooooooor?! :laugh: “)! :laugh:
School is brutal for that sort of thing isn’t it!

School is brutal for that sort of thing isn’t it!
There was a definite social class system in place - one was either from a family who didn’t work for the local university, or one who did.

For the former, that broke down to “Poor townie” or “poor farm kid” (that was me), and for the latter, it was “middle class university worker” or “well-to-do faculty member.”

There was a definite social class system in place - one was either from a family who didn’t work for the local university, or one who did.

For the former, that broke down to “Poor townie” or “poor farm kid” (that was me), and for the latter, it was “middle class university worker” or “well-to-do faculty member.”
🤔 and you say you are comfortable in Blighty, surprising.. 🤣

🤔 and you say you are comfortable in Blighty, surprising.. 🤣
Shortly after I’d arrived there, a British coworker was driving me to look at a house to rent, and we approached a narrowing of the road just before an oncoming car did.

He waited and the other car didn’t even stop and just rolled through, and I commented that it was nice of my friend to let that fellow through, and give him a little nod to boot: “Back home, it’s usually first come, first served.”

He gave half a laugh and said, “No, he’s driving a new Jaguar, and we’re in my old Ford. Status makes all the difference here…and I’m only half-joking!”

Don't know what you're missing!
Well you probably don't miss it at all. Some people like travelling, others don't. Fair enough!

Back
Top Bottom