Recipe What is your best 'Flavored' French Toast Batter?

Shimus

Veteran
Local time
5:23 PM
I'm a big fan of French Toast - I think I could it eat it all three meals of the day if I was allowed! Having been my favorite dish since I was a wee lad, I thought I'd share my 'very basic' take on it.

That being said, what is your favorite way to make your French Toast? Mine probably is "sweet vanilla" French Toast.

Myself:

1. 3-5 Eggs, into a mixing bowl.
2. Twinge of 2% Reduced Fat Milk (3/4 to 1 cup of milk per 3-4 pieces unless you tone down milk for more egg-flavor)
3. Small Tsp of Vanilla extract
4. Small Tsp of Sugar (Granulated) (too much kills the browning of the bread and makes it look burnt!)

I know plenty of other people substitute cinnamon in place of the sugar as well, or sprinkle cinnamon on the top while cooking the pieces and it adds a very nice flavor. Sometimes, it's nice to eat normal batter french toast too - but that's for another thread!

I make my French toast pretty mich the same way you do. Sometimes I whisk a little cinnamon into the milk and egg batter, but not always. I like that vanilla flavor to shine through.

Is it going to sadden you when I say I've never made my own french toast, only had it at cafes?!

For some reason I'm a pancake maker all the time at home, but I've never ventured into DIY French toast yet. I think I'm going to have to remedy that soon, though.

I think your recipe sounds good - I love cinnamony tasting french toast too so I'd probably just add some of that in too.

I've only ever had it unsweetened as I'm not a fan of anything sweet, really. Here we call it Eggy Bread or Pain Perdu if you want to be posh! Sometimes its also known as 'Poor Knights of Windsor'. You have made me think, though, what other ingredients I could add to the savoury version. A pinch of salt is a prerequisite, then cumin perhaps (that goes with eggs). Oh, and following on that spice trail, finely chopped chilli would be good. Nutmeg, cloves, mace, they would all work. And what about Cheesy Eggy Bread?

Sweet- Pain perdu or lost bread,jam banana ,maple syrup,vanilla icecream it's all in or nothing!
Savoury - we used to call them loaded club sandwich,cheese and ham egg mix with garlic ,shallow fry with a apple pickle,and I have done posh version with with smoked makeral and fennel aioli

Never heard of those terms - Since I've never really been much of anywhere else, it's very interesting to see the other names for it. I never knew it had such a wealth of names.

Nor did I understand it to be any different than flavored pancakes - like blueberry, chocolate chip - until I saw you guys mentioning spices and cheeses on french toast? Seems like an interesting twist, but I was kinda of hesitant to go "WHOA THAT LOOKS AWESOME" because of my nature of normal-esque French Toast.

What's it taste like, when you add the other type of ingredients? Does it come out less like the syrup version and more like a quiche a thick eggy meal?

Never heard of those terms - Since I've never really been much of anywhere else, it's very interesting to see the other names for it. I never knew it had such a wealth of names.

Nor did I understand it to be any different than flavored pancakes - like blueberry, chocolate chip - until I saw you guys mentioning spices and cheeses on french toast? Seems like an interesting twist, but I was kinda of hesitant to go "WHOA THAT LOOKS AWESOME" because of my nature of normal-esque French Toast.

What's it taste like, when you add the other type of ingredients? Does it come out less like the syrup version and more like a quiche a thick eggy meal?

Well, think of it a bit like ordinary toast. You can have toast with honey or jam (jello) or you can have it with savoury toppings (beans, cheese etc). Its that kind of difference! But I wasn't talking about putting toppings on the French Toast, but putting spices and/or cheese in the batter, before you dip the bread. So the fried bread is coated in the savoury mixture. Does that explain it? Very hard to put taste into words! :ohmy:

Yeah, it makes much more sense now. Thanks for explaining it. Some terminology I admit is lost on me, but I'm working to understand it.

It is indeed hard to put taste into words, but with your aforementioned ingredients I sure will give it a go. It sounds like I've been limiting myself based on common preconceptions or notions that it has to be along the line of my recipe or I would balk at the idea of it. I guess it just goes to show you.. you need to have open ideas about food.

Yeah, it makes much more sense now. Thanks for explaining it. Some terminology I admit is lost on me, but I'm working to understand it.

It is indeed hard to put taste into words, but with your aforementioned ingredients I sure will give it a go. It sounds like I've been limiting myself based on common preconceptions or notions that it has to be along the line of my recipe or I would balk at the idea of it. I guess it just goes to show you.. you need to have open ideas about food.

Go for it!!

Tried some with those ingredients, and while the taste isn't bad at all it wasn't exactly what I was expecting either. I was pleasantly surprised. It's just so much different from what I was used to cooking (or what others saw me cooking) that they even questions what the heck I was making. Though they ate it and enjoyed it all the same, I have much to go still. I would probably have rated the cheese bread type a 6/10.

Tried some with those ingredients, and while the taste isn't bad at all it wasn't exactly what I was expecting either. I was pleasantly surprised. It's just so much different from what I was used to cooking (or what others saw me cooking) that they even questions what the heck I was making. Though they ate it and enjoyed it all the same, I have much to go still. I would probably have rated the cheese bread type a 6/10.
Well done! Its great when people here actually try ideas and report back. :D Co-incidentally, my (adult) son just asked for eggy bread (French toast) for lunch. He asked me to add a big dollop of Nando's garlic sauce to the beaten eggs. I tasted some and it was delicious! The cheesy version is also good - just mix a handful of grated cheese into the eggs. But you could also try my son's idea of adding a ready-made sauce of your choice.

I think I shall. It sounds absolutely delicious, and I've never experienced this many variations to my favorite dish before. I'll admit I made them like IHOP for awhile, you know - dessert eggy bread with creams and butters and chilled, not hot. But I find I prefer them much more when they're steaming hot and full of flavor - even if that flavor is garlic or whatever herb or spice you decide to chip in to edge it around. You can also use this method to make eggy bread centered around other meals like pasta too. So many combinations, so little eggs! (and bread, haha!)

(I'm like that Adult Son. I'd still request my parents to make it. Tastes so much better, as is the thing when others cook for you :D)

I think I shall. It sounds absolutely delicious, and I've never experienced this many variations to my favorite dish before. I'll admit I made them like IHOP for awhile, you know - dessert eggy bread with creams and butters and chilled, not hot.

Now that is a new one on me! The chilled version, I mean. Doesn't the egg get congealed?

Back
Top Bottom