What is your current "read"?

I ceased reading about 3 months ago for no explicable reason. Started again last week. Nothing hi-brow, just Michael Connelly.

Nothing hi-brow, just Michael Connelly.

Nothing wrong with Michael Connolly. In terms of what he does, he's one of the best. Certainly one of the best crime writers in the US in the last 20 years. Which one are you reading? I've read all of his books apart from "Two Kinds Of Truth" which arrived in my postbox a few days ago and will be read before the end of the week.

Nothing wrong with Michael Connolly. In terms of what he does, he's one of the best. Certainly one of the best crime writers in the US in the last 20 years. Which one are you reading? I've read all of his books apart from "Two Kinds Of Truth" which arrived in my postbox a few days ago and will be read before the end of the week.

I've finished "The Black Echo", "The Black Ice" and "The Concrete Blond". Just started "The Last Coyote".

I have never been able to sit still and awake long enough to enjoy a book, but I've had fun watching my son read and learn about To Kill A Mockingbird in his Literature class.

His World Cultures/Social Studies teacher had them start with Machiavelli's The Prince this year. I wouldn't doubt that it was prescribed because of current world political climate.

Not bad for a 14 year old.

I hope he retains some of it, or he'll end up learning the same things again in the school of life.

I've finished "The Black Echo", "The Black Ice" and "The Concrete Blond". Just started "The Last Coyote".

You plan on reading all his books in sequence? That's a great idea. I first read these four back in the 1990s but it was only last winter that I decided to have a mini Michael Connolly re-read project, and I read them in order, starting from the beginning. If you've got the books - and the time - then it's a much more enjoyable way of following Harry Bosch's story.

You plan on reading all his books in sequence? That's a great idea. I first read these four back in the 1990s but it was only last winter that I decided to have a mini Michael Connolly re-read project, and I read them in order, starting from the beginning. If you've got the books - and the time - then it's a much more enjoyable way of following Harry Bosch's story.

It all started with the television series "Bosch" which I enjoyed (somewhat similar character to Rebus of Ian Rankin fame). Yes I am currently reading them in order on Kindle. Hardbacks/paperbacks are becoming increasingly difficult to read as I get older so I rely on the computers facility to increase the size of the text. I think that the last paper book that I read was the last of George Macdonald Fraser's Flashman series with "The Tiger". https://www.facebook.com/The-Flashman-Papers-143579769033220/. Or could have been Tom Sharpe.

I've just read Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann. A wonderful novel that I have somehow overlooked for many years and a reminder that dubious business practices and even more dubious morals are hardly a preserve of the modern day.

"Last Coyote" finished and I've finished "Trunk Music" in two days.

May give Bosch a rest for a bit now.

"Last Coyote" finished and I've finished "Trunk Music" in two days.

May give Bosch a rest for a bit now.

I've just looked at my notes - there's one more of his early 90s novels that would complete your 'reading set'. It's called "The Poet" - it doesn't feature Bosch, it's someone called Jack McEvoy - who doesn't reappear again until 2009. I can't remember anything about "The Poet", but as it's Connolly, I'm sure it's a good one.

If you find LA-based crime novels enjoyable, have you tried any Jonathan Kellerman titles? I've read and enjoyed all his Alex Delaware books - there are over 30 of them. If you don't know the books and are curious, the first one in the series is called "When The Bough Breaks"; from 1985.

I was about to give Connolly a rest for a bit and went to Giles Blunt. The first one that I "opened" I recollected from a TV series. I dislike "reading the book after the film" so to speak, so I returned to Connolly.

I am sure that I have read Kellerman's "When the Bough Breaks" (or maybe seen the fillum) but I don't appear to have them in my "library". I shall rectify that.

[Edit: I am downloading a few now]

Last edited:
I now have 41 of Kellerman's books. He's been a busy boy.

...and you're going to be busy reading them all. I've got the first 28 Alex Delaware titles, plus one stand-alone novel. I'll see if I can find the other 12 titles in the New Year.

20181225_103223.jpg

Back
Top Bottom