What is your current "read"?

...and you're going to be busy reading them all. I've got the first 28 Alex Delaware titles, plus one stand-alone novel. I'll see if I can find the other 12 titles in the New Year.

I've just finished "Bad Love". Very difficult to keep track of the characters.

I remember borrowing a book (made of paper) from a friend and he'd left a bookmark in it which was a piece of card listing all the major characters and their part in the plot as an aide memoire. I thought at the time "that's a good idea" - but I've not done it myself. Reading "Bad Love" would have been a good time to start.

I'm reading George Eliot's Daniel Deronda. It's reckoned by many to be her "heaviest" work and I can see why. You can sense that an awful lot of research went into it. Rather like Middlemarch, it almost feels like two novels combined into one.

I've always felt that Eliot is one of our more underrated novelists. It's true that she didn't write many, but neither did Jane Austen and I see Eliot as being at least on a par.

Reading the Longevity Paradox. This is the best book to explain the connection between food, living long and how to avoid chronic diseases that plague a standard western diet.

AB7019FC-BA2E-49A1-A74E-766AA0C8E98D.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reviewing a 50 best curries in a book I have, I've since realised I have 2 copies, but different covers. Trying to find a few good recipes.

Russ

Billion Dollar Brain.

Len Deighton.

I think, the fourth in his spy series.

His main character hasn't got a name despite being called Harry Palmer in the various films of his books.

Ken Bruen - "The Ghosts of Galway".

Ray Bradbury's collection of short stories, "The October Country."

Not a New read
A book I read many years ago
Found it in the attic in a box of junk.
A Prayer for Owen Meanu
by John Irving.
The covers are missing. A real tome. 627 pages.
John Irving is a very weird person. You either love his work or you hate it. No middle ground.
Some of his more familiar works are The World According to Garp, Cider House Rules and The Hotel New Hampshire. Movies.

Not a New read
A book I read many years ago
Found it in the attic in a box of junk.
A Prayer for Owen Meanu
by John Irving.
The covers are missing. A real tome. 627 pages.
John Irving is a very weird person. You either love his work or you hate it. No middle ground.
Some of his more familiar works are The World According to Garp, Cider House Rules and The Hotel New Hampshire. Movies.

Loved Garp, both film and book, but much preferred the book.
Beware of the Under Toad.:laugh:

I'm reading Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo, which I have somehow managed to avoid for all these years. A curious omission for a self-confessed 19th-century literature obsessive.

It was impossible not to smile on reading that one of the characters "ate like a man who for the last four or five months had been condemned to partake of Italian cookery—that is, the worst in the world."

I wonder what it was that repelled Dumas so much about Italian food. Also, one can only draw the conclusion that he couldn't have visited Great Britain.

Back
Top Bottom