What is your current "read"?

I would love to tell you what I am now reading, but I can't.

My DD gave me her old kindle with about 15 books on it. I started reading this book and now I can't remember the name of the book or the author. lol
Also, last night I got the message that the battery was running low and just realized I forgot to plug it in. Opps, no reading tonight.

Just for the record, I love to read novels.

I've always been a reader, from about 8 til a few years ago, but my wife's a reader, she's reading biography about jimmy Barnes. The Aussie singer. She said it's good.

Russ

I would love to tell you what I am now reading, but I can't.

My DD gave me her old kindle with about 15 books on it. I started reading this book and now I can't remember the name of the book or the author. lol
Also, last night I got the message that the battery was running low and just realized I forgot to plug it in. Opps, no reading tonight.

Just for the record, I love to read novels.
OK I am reading "The Memory Man" by David Baldacci. The kindle says I am 34% through it. So far, so good. I think it is the first in a series about this ex cop named Amos Decker.

Also, DH and I have been enjoying for the last few years a series with the character Stone Barrington by Stewart Wood. Very enjoyable. DH is on Wood's 26th book and I am waiting to buy # 29. He already has a lot more than that published, we are just running behind. lol

There is also a series of books by Randy Wayne White that we have been reading. The main character is Doc Ford. All the books take place on the west coast of Florida. Very informative even for an old resident of Florida.

More later. lol

I'm reading two things on my Kindle. One is some sci-fi fantasy thing, and the other is a WW1 motorcycle courier's memoir.

Ken Bruen - The Ghosts of Galway.

[On Kindle for PC]

OK I am reading "The Memory Man" by David Baldacci. The kindle says I am 34% through it. So far, so good. I think it is the first in a series about this ex cop named Amos Decker.

There is also a series of books by Randy Wayne White that we have been reading. The main character is Doc Ford. All the books take place on the west coast of Florida. Very informative even for an old resident of Florida.
l
Finished "The Memory Man". Enjoyed it. But I couldn't find anything else on the kindle that I cared to read. Out of desperation, started reading #1 book in the "Doc Ford" series. Now this is a sign of real old age. I last read the book 3 years ago, and so far I don't remember a darn thing from it. Has anyone else done that? Weird that the book I just finished was called "The Memory Man". lol

There is one remaining Jane Austen novel to read and I am in the process of doing so now. It's Mansfield Park and I am about a quarter of the way through. Far enough, though, for a reminder of Austen's dry humour and ever-so-subtle sarcasm. There is a wonderful passage where she describes a fine garden in detail and follows it with the curt sentence, "It was a good spot for fault-finding."

Brilliant, just brilliant.

At least once a year I have to re-read or at least flip through a few more pages, "Letters about creativity" by Fedor Dostoevskij.
I really appreciate Russian literature and F.D. is a more than worthy representative. Yet I like this book because it remains a little bit apart from its more famous novels. It is a selection of letters that the Russian writer has exchanged over the years with friends, relatives and writers. He tried to abandon the too entrenched Russian traditions, but there are also beautiful pages in which he expressed his love for his dearest affections and his homeland Russia.

Last edited:
Just about to start Alain de Botton's latest - The School of Life, but got distracted by a charity shop find - Game Cooking by Clarissa Dickson Wright and Johnny Scott. It was written for the US market, so has recipes for unusual things we don't get in the UK, plus things we do but seldom feature in recipes, like carp and pike.

While reading Mansfield Park, I was struck by something. Two of the main characters are Henry and Mary Crawford, who in turn are half-siblings of Mrs Grant, wife of clergyman Dr Grant. The Crawfords' uncle is Admiral Maxwell. A ship's doctor is called Campbell. We also have a Mrs Fraser and there is a reference to a lady called Flora Ross.

You may see where this is going. These are all distinctly Scottish names, despite all of the action in the novel taking place in the south of England. Why, I wondered, should this be.

We had a think about it and came up with a few ideas. Is it just a little joke by Jane Austen, a bit of fun with names? Or could it be something more serious? Austen was, it has been suggested, sympathetic to the Jacobite cause, so perhaps that could be a factor.

Another possibility is that Sir Walter Scott was an admirer of Austen's work, so maybe the Scottish names are a small nod in Scott's direction.

While reading Mansfield Park, I was struck by something. Two of the main characters are Henry and Mary Crawford, who in turn are half-siblings of Mrs Grant, wife of clergyman Dr Grant. The Crawfords' uncle is Admiral Maxwell. A ship's doctor is called Campbell. We also have a Mrs Fraser and there is a reference to a lady called Flora Ross.

You may see where this is going. These are all distinctly Scottish names, despite all of the action in the novel taking place in the south of England. Why, I wondered, should this be.

We had a think about it and came up with a few ideas. Is it just a little joke by Jane Austen, a bit of fun with names? Or could it be something more serious? Austen was, it has been suggested, sympathetic to the Jacobite cause, so perhaps that could be a factor.

Another possibility is that Sir Walter Scott was an admirer of Austen's work, so maybe the Scottish names are a small nod in Scott's direction.

Well, yours seems to me convincing assumptions, even if I wonder why she should have had a joke about Scottish names?

Back
Top Bottom