What is your current "read"?

I am reading a novel by Ken Follett called "The Third Twin". I am on pg. 120. I used to be able to read a lot faster, but then I discovered this cooking forum and I seem to spend a lot of time there. By the time I get to bed and my book, I'm lucky if I read a couple pages before the sandman puts me to sleep. :sleep:

I am currently reading a novel by Anna Snoekstra called "Only Daughter". (It is on my daughters kindle that she gave me.) Has anyone ever heard of her? She was born in Canberra, Australia.

Carrie Berry Civil War Diary. A first hand account of the closing 6 months of the American Civil War in Atlanta Ga from the eyes of a 10 Year Old Child.
The War Outside My Window. The recently published story of LeRoy Gresham, a disabled 12-year-old from Macon who documented the unfolding of the American Civil War, mostly from his bed.

Reviews:
"Of the war, Gresham reports the battles and the toll on the {American] South. Though he doesn’t at first realize it, the information he is getting is often false illustrating the manner in which false news became a thing long before it was resurrected as a 21st century phenomenon."

“He learns later that you can’t turn to the initial reporting, you have to wait awhile to see what really happens, That gives you a flavor for how the media was impacting the people. They didn’t find out that Lincoln had been assassinated for more than a week.”

"It is not until the end of his diary entries that Gresham realizes he is dying, most likely from Potts Disease, a form of spinal tuberculosis. It was important to add Gresham’s voice to the diaries from the Civil War era for several reasons."

Last edited:
I'm a good way through Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Some critics have made noises about it being the "first feminist novel." I'm always a bit sceptical when modern-day concepts are applied to historical situations. I would say, though, that the content was probably quite daring for its time - woman chooses to leave drunken, abusive, adulterous husband and sets out to make a life for herself. I can imagine this caused a degree of shock to some people, though I also can imagine a few women who were quietly nodding in agreement.

I am currently reading a novel by Anna Snoekstra called "Only Daughter". (It is on my daughters kindle that she gave me.) Has anyone ever heard of her? She was born in Canberra, Australia.
Finished this last night. I enjoyed it very much.

I have finally got round to ' Notes from a Small Island' by Bill Bryson
That might be my all-time favorite book, and a lot of the reason is that so much of what he described happened to us after we moved to the UK.

Near the beginning of the book, he talks about getting directions from a group of guys at a pub, and that exact situation he talked about happened to me, almost exactly, except it was two older women who worked at the local estate agent's (where I paid my rent).

Once they started, they were like a perpetual motion machine that couldn't stop telling me all the various ways to get to Hastings, and that I also shouldn't bother going because it was already too late in the day to go (8:30AM).

The chapter where he described what sounds like the worst walking experience ever, in near-deadly weather, and how sitting at the summit, wet, freezing his ass off, watching otherwise sane people standing and shivering, strangers sharing tea and sandwiches and making room for each other, and he says something like, "God, I love this country," still will put a lump in my throat (I have one now), because that's how I felt, a hundred times over.

My wife always marvels at how, at home, I'm routinely impatient and at my wit's end with what she sees as small inconveniences, but when we're in the UK, nothing bothers me. Queues don't bother me, early closing times don't bother me, the weather doesn't bother me, etc - all things that will send me into a cussing gripe here. Why? Because I'm in the UK - even the crappy stuff is magnificent!

Last edited:
What early closing times?!
When we lived there before, some of the village shops would frequently close early on Wednesday afternoons. That would catch a lot of Americans up short, who weren't used to the idea of a shop closing early mid-week (or routinely closing for lunch).

On top of that, though, was just the perceived early closing times of things in general. I remember the big shopping mall at Milton Keynes advertising "extended hours" for Christmas shopping...and they extended them to 7PM, which an American likely would see as reduced, not extended. :)

For Americans living there who weren't as nutty as me, the early closing times, like pubs shutting down at 11PM, were a common complaint, especially if they lived in a small village with no larger place open late. Sadly, though, I have noticed a bit of a change the last few times we visited, with things staying open later and small shops that may have been closed on a Sunday are now open.

But, nostalgically, I did walk down to the village shop a little too late the last time we were there and found it closed up, and it was maybe 6PM or so. I didn't even need anything, I just wanted to poke around. I consoled myself in my disappointment by stepping across the street to the pub. Happiness is all about attitude. :)

When we lived there before, some of the village shops would frequently close early on Wednesday afternoons. That would catch a lot of Americans up short, who weren't used to the idea of a shop closing early mid-week (or routinely closing for lunch).

On top of that, though, was just the perceived early closing times of things in general. I remember the big shopping mall at Milton Keynes advertising "extended hours" for Christmas shopping...and they extended them to 7PM, which an American likely would see as reduced, not extended. :)

For Americans living there who weren't as nutty as me, the early closing times, like pubs shutting down at 11PM, were a common complaint, especially if they lived in a small village with no larger place open late. Sadly, though, I have noticed a bit of a change the last few times we visited, with things staying open later and small shops that may have been closed on a Sunday are now open.

But, nostalgically, I did walk down to the village shop a little too late the last time we were there and found it closed up, and it was maybe 6PM or so. I didn't even need anything, I just wanted to poke around. I consoled myself in my disappointment by stepping across the street to the pub. Happiness is all about attitude. :)

We are off topic - my fault. But I really appreciate and understand your post. You write so well...

We are off topic - my fault. But I really appreciate and understand your post. You write so well...
That's very kind, thank you!

To get back on topic - cookieee, Bill Bryson is a noted author, whose books mainly cover travel, but not always.

He excels at appearing grumpier than he really is, and wonderfully sarcastic without being hurtful. I think he's truly gifted as an exceptional crafter; it sounds a cliche, but his writing feels very alive.

Notes From A Small Island - Bryson (American) had lived in England 20 years, and married and raised a family while there. He was moving back to the US and decided to take a trip around Britain, just himself, visiting some new places he wanted to see before leaving, and revisiting places that held special memories for him. During this trip, he reminisces on past experiences and ruminates on the state of the world and humankind, and all done with rollicking humor and no preachiness.

Part of what makes him so interesting is that he's somewhat a man without a country, because he's no longer quite an American, nor is he truly British, which gives him a unique perspective on both cultures. I think any Brit could read this book and find things to laugh about, both about American peculiarities and about some of their own, and absolutely the opposite is true. He's able to achieve a certain subjective objectivity, or maybe that's objective subjectivity, if that makes any sense.

Another thing I'll add - they made a TV series based on the book...let's just say Bill's a much better writer than he is a presenter, and I don't feel bad saying that, because he'd say the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom