What is your current "read"?

I used to be a big reader, I have my own small collection of books. Just so busy with stuff and work. So much for retired? I must make the effort. My son recently bought me an expensive book with stories from people I know. I'll start with that.

Russ

If you're talking about my book, it's about people on the west coast of the South Island. About 2 1/2 hrs drive from me here on the east coast. I've done business there for 30 plus years with engineers and gold miners. I know the big names and their backgrounds through dealing with them. The names have been changed but I know who they are. I've read a few chapters then put the book down. I will finish it now I've dug it out.

Russ

Sorry Russ, I was trying to quote my original question to The Velvet Curtain about his book.

To be honest Russ, I haven't stood on my head to read the title of your book yet. lol

I'm currently reading Knife (audiobook) by Jo Nesbo but I keep grinding to a halt. The storyline does not seem so fluid as the other Harry Hole books. I've also nearly finished Your House Will Pay (Pigeonhole) by Steph Cha, and have got The Girl Who Lived Twice (audiobook) by David Lagercrantz and Baby (Pigeonhole) by Annaleese Jochem to look forward to. I did start reading The Name of the Rose (combined audiobook/Kindle) by Umberto Eco but the audiobook and the Kindle book are not identical and the BBC series is not helping. I'm giving that one a rest for now.

I have also just finished Bitter Inheritance (print book) by Ann Cliff. It's a historical romance (romances are not normally my cup of tea, but it was chosen by the local libraries' housebound service). However, it's pretty easy going and I did quietly quite enjoy it.

Last edited:
I started reading this book a little while ago. I didn't plan it this way, but it is a good one for the holidays.
It is "The Emperors of Chocolate-Inside the Secret World of Hershey & Mars" by Joel Glenn Brenner-pub.1999.

I am only up to Chapter 3. But I can't get over what has happened so far. At one time there was over 600 candy manufactures. To quote from the book - " Hundreds of candy firms like Sifer's have gone out of business or been gobbled up by the competition in recent years. And the trend shows no sign of abating." "We've lost an entire generation of candy products in just the last two decades," laments Ray Broekel, an industry historian and self-described candy bar guru. "It's terribly upsetting to watch them vanish so quickly. It gives me the shivers."

I haven't been in a store in years, but just wondering, can you still buy the candy that you grew up with now or has it disappeared?

I haven't been in a store in years, but just wondering, can you still buy the candy that you grew up with now or has it disappeared?
I grew up in the 1970's, and most everything is still available, but you have to know where to look for it, though.

There are websites that sell gift baskets or collections of vintage candies from different decades, so there must be a market for it, but I would imagine some of those may no longer be made by the original producer, but instead licensed out to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom