What is your favourite tinned food?

We always get canned tomatoes, green beans, corn, and sweet peas when we do our monthly grocery shopping. Along with some different tomato sauces, canned soups, and individual portions of fruits so we can have a light dessert some days.
We pretty much have the same shopping list except add carrots and mixed vegetables and pork n beans (UK baked beans) mostly to make southern style baked beans.
We do fruit in the cans when it is on sale.
Now this week's shopping list is milk and maybe bread.
@morning glory I can't say I have ever bought frozen peas.

We pretty much have the same shopping list except add carrots and mixed vegetables and pork n beans (UK baked beans) mostly to make southern style baked beans.
We do fruit in the cans when it is on sale.
Now this week's shopping list is milk and maybe bread.
@morning glory I can't say I have ever bought frozen peas.

We always have a bag of frozen peas in our freezer, fresh are hard to come by, expensive and pretty poor quality so frozen are good to have.

We always have a bag of frozen peas in our freezer, fresh are hard to come by, expensive and pretty poor quality so frozen are good to have.
I can't say I have ever bought frozen peas.

Perhaps frozen peas are not so usual in the US? Tinned 'garden' peas taste completely different from frozen or fresh. I quite like them occasionally but I reckon in the UK you would be hard pushed to find a freezer in anyone's house that didn't have a bag of frozen peas.

Last edited:
Perhaps frozen peas are not so usual in the US? Tinned 'garden' peas taste completely different from frozen or fresh. I quite like them occasionally but I recon in the UK you would be hard pushed to find a freezer in anyone's house that didn't have a bag of frozen peas.
No, they are quite common actually. Since I usually use them for creamed peas, I see no reason to spend the extra money on frozen. Frozen is between 2 to 5 times more expensive than tinned. Same for corn.

Here is the thing. I am super cheap. Now I don't know how your vegetables are done, but in the US all peas come from the same fields. Whoever pays the most, gets the choice peas. Then they are all sent to the respective plants for processing. It really doesn't matter here in the US.
Unless you are talking the overly priced supposedly high end foods. I won't buy them due to the way most are picked. They are picked by workers making less than $1 an hour. These workers are typically put in temporary structures with maybe an outhouse. Young children are also put to work. The farm owners pay by the piece, it is typically 50 cents for a big basket.

I just did a price comparison between tinned peas and frozen in the UK and US (as far as I was able). Not easy as I had to convert ounces to grams and dollars to pounds sterling. If anyone feels like a bit of mental exercise please feel free to check my maths! I've used a kilo as comparison which = 35.274 ounces

In the UK:
A 200g tin of peas (drained weight 175g) = 20p. This is the rock bottom price at the cheapest supermarket = £1.19/$1.56 per kilo
Frozen peas (rock bottom price) are £1.06/$1.39 per kilo.
So frozen peas work out cheaper in the UK

In the US:
A 15 ounce tin of peas (drained weight, say 14 oz?) = $0.68. This is Walmart price = £1.30/ $1.70 per kilo
Frozen peas 16 ounce = $1.29. This is Trader Jo's price = £2.16/$2.84 per kilo
So canned peas work out cheaper in the US

Despite the falling pound sterling, UK prices are cheaper for both canned and frozen. In the US, frozen peas are double the price of frozen peas in the UK. Canned peas in the US are slightly more expensive than in the UK. But this could depend on brands.

Tinned tuna and tinned smoked mackerel...I'm particularly tinned tuna fan, in my pantry is always present. And canned tomatoes, both sauce and peeled tomatoes.

@MypinchofItaly

My list is 3 things:

Tinned or canned Tuna white albacore by Cuca, Galicia and Italian imported canned Tomatoes for base of Marinara and a can of Tomato paste from Italy, also imported ..

Have a lovely weekend !!

Tinned tuna is an interesting thing - its not really anything like fresh tuna. I like it too occasionally. Tinned fsh in general is good - sardines...mmmm... :)

@morning glory

Tinned tuna is White tuna ( or " Bonito ) and fresh tuna is Red, though you can purchase fresh tuna too but it is another species of tuna ..

And yes, they have a completely different tasting profile ..

I just did a price comparison between tinned peas and frozen in the UK and US (as far as I was able). Not easy as I had to convert ounces to grams and dollars to pounds sterling. If anyone feels like a bit of mental exercise please feel free to check my maths! I've used a kilo as comparison which = 35.274 ounces

In the UK:
A 200g tin of peas (drained weight 175g) = 20p. This is the rock bottom price at the cheapest supermarket = £1.19/$1.56 per kilo
Frozen peas (rock bottom price) are £1.06/$1.39 per kilo.
So frozen peas work out cheaper in the UK

In the US:
A 15 ounce tin of peas (drained weight, say 14 oz?) = $0.68. This is Walmart price = £1.30/ $1.70 per kilo
Frozen peas 16 ounce = $1.29. This is Trader Jo's price = £2.16/$2.84 per kilo
So canned peas work out cheaper in the US

Despite the falling pound sterling, UK prices are cheaper for both canned and frozen. In the US, frozen peas are double the price of frozen peas in the UK. Canned peas in the US are slightly more expensive than in the UK. But this could depend on brands.
Your comparison is accurate and it does depend on brand. On sale: canned is typically 50p. Frozen is never less than a dollar.
Oh and just for future knowledge: that tinned price is common to corn, peas and green beans.

Back
Top Bottom