What is your favourite tinned food?

@morning glory

Tinned tuna is White tuna ( or " Bonito ) and fresh tuna is Red, though you can purchase fresh tuna too but it is another species of tuna ..

And yes, they have a completely different tasting profile ..

Its not just the type of tuna though. Tinned tuna is typically cooked twice whereas fresh tuna is best served 'pink' inside. What would the White tuna look like if cooked fresh, I wonder?

I'm not going to quote from this article as it is quite detailed and would be going off topic, but it may interest you @Francesca:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/shortcuts/2016/jul/27/is-there-any-tuna-thats-to-eat-tesco

I buy the occasional tin of beans (the excellent Suma do a good mix of four or six bean tins), but that's about it.

I haven't seen Suma brand. I do use those mixed beans and all sorts of tinned beans. Don't you use tinned tomatoes @Duck59? I thought everyone used those.

I've never used tinned tomatoes in my life.
Blimey! I think you are very unusual in that respect. I'd bet you are the only person on this forum who could claim that. What do you use to make sauces that require tomatoes? Fresh ones?

Tinned tomatoes are a great ingredient - especially if you get the slightly more expensive Italian brands. They have a huge amount of flavour which you can't get from fresh tomatoes unless you happen to live in the Med or somewhere very hot when they are in season. Also they are cheap!

Blimey! I think you are very unusual in that respect. I'd bet you are the only person on this forum who could claim that. What do you use to make sauces that require tomatoes? Fresh ones?

Tinned tomatoes are a great ingredient - especially if you get the slightly more expensive Italian brands. They have a huge amount of flavour which you can't get from fresh tomatoes unless you happen to live in the Med or somewhere very hot when they are in season. Also they are cheap!
Funnily enough, I use far less tinned tomatoes than I used to, as you may have noticed from some of my recipes. These days I just keep a couple of tins in the cupboard for emergencies. Even the humble supermarket tomato ripens up nicely if kept in the cupboard rather than the fridge, and the organic ones are superb.

Funnily enough, I use far less tinned tomatoes than I used to, as you may have noticed from some of my recipes. These days I just keep a couple of tins in the cupboard for emergencies. Even the humble supermarket tomato ripens up nicely if kept in the cupboard rather than the fridge, and the organic ones are superb.

Yes - tomatoes in the UK have improved. but its an expensive option if you are making food for a family.

Yes - tomatoes in the UK have improved. but its an expensive option if you are making food for a family.
Some tomatoes are cheap here and others are expensive.
But then we have tinned tomatoes in several varieties, many varieties of tomato sauces, tomato paste and who knows what else.

I would have thought my statement was on the unequivocal end of the spectrum...I don't use tinned tomatoes. I believe there is a fruit known as a 'tomato' and I am reliably informed that they are widely available.
I think you sent us all into shock. Someone that doesn't used tinned tomatoes.
You just blew our minds is all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom