What is your favourite tinned food?

I use both tinned and fresh tomatoes. Tinned are always the same price (about US$ 1.25 for 565 gm (net); 315 gm (gross) - this is Thailand), whereas fresh tomatoes can vary between US$ 2.00/kg and US$ 5.00/kg and sometimes may not be available anyway. I always keep 3 or 4 tins on hand.

Back in the day when I balanced a FT nursing career with whatever catering jobs popped up I depended heavily on canned items.
Now that it is mainly the hubs and myself I try to cook a good meal (one meat and two veg is a popular combo in the southern US) with enuf leftovers for a couple of days.
So.
Tomatoes are a pantry par (several different forms...whole or chopped petite, sauce and puree) as is chili for the hotdogs we eat while watching baseball on the tv.
Beans of course and agree with @morning glory re the green peas.
A large bag of frozen that can be opened and reclosed is essential and does come in handy when one of the grandkids has a boo boo....perfect as an ice bag that is not sharp and can be molded and taped to whatever body part that is injured.
Tuna (in olive oil) as well but it seems my favorite brand has dropped way low in the quality category.
The last 2 cans I have opened have had bits of the skin in them... (yes I gagged) and one had a scale.

Just wondering how many of you keep extra non perishables on hand for survival?
Zombie apocalypse and all....

Just wondering how many of you keep extra non perishables on hand for survival?
Zombie apocalypse and all....

No - not really. Although I have so many bits and pieces in the freezer, plus dried beans, pasta etc. that I'm sure we could survive several weeks! But that is accident rather than design.

No - not really. Although I have so many bits and pieces in the freezer, plus dried beans, pasta etc. that I'm sure we could survive several weeks! But that is accident rather than design.

Living so close to the Gulf of Mexico has taught me to be prepared.
Hurricanes are so unpredictable...one min they are headed for Galveston the next they are making landfall on top of our summer hideaway (200 miles south).
Nothing quite as scary as being forced to ride one out in a tin can on a beach (AKA camper AKA caravan) with winds gusting at 80 mph and an unpredictable tidal surge.
Anyway....we keep supplies on hand the most important being water and a generator.
We try to be prepared whether it is a bad weather forecast or hungry man eating walking dead lol.

Nothing quite as scary as being forced to ride one out in a tin can on a beach (AKA camper AKA caravan) with winds gusting at 80 mph and an unpredictable tidal surge.
Anyway....we keep supplies on hand the most important being water and a generator.

This brings a whole new meaning to 'tin cans'! :happy:

@bluejeanbaby

I am also very near the Gulf Coast. If a storm threatens I will stock up on canned (tinned) foods. Other than that I have very few cans in my pantry.

During the summer when I have fresh tomatoes from my garden you will find tomato paste, anchovies, Tuna (in a pouch rather than a tin - less water), dried wild mushrooms, Kalamata Olives (in a jar), jars of Better Than Bouillon Base - chicken, beef, veggie and lobster. If I do not have tomatoes from the garden or stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce in the freezer from summer crops you will find whole stewed tomatoes in addition to the tomato paste. Unless I am making something like Black Bean Salad there are not other tins in my pantry.

Why use canned when you can use fresh?

Good day to all.

Living so close to the Gulf of Mexico has taught me to be prepared.
Hurricanes are so unpredictable..

Speaking of hurricanes - Harvey has ripped through south east Texas with a vengeance.

Son in Law and his family live in Katy, Tx. - Just out of Houston. Fortunately they were fine. SS and Grand Son were out yesterday and the day before rescuing people stranded by flood waters. Between the 2 of them and their boating partners they each averaged 150+ people over a 2 day period of time. Over 300 rescues.

My heroes!

Use to be Progresso French Onion Soup but I cant eat onions now. I will eat some canned corn or canned green beans to get rid of a sugar rush.

Back
Top Bottom