What is your favourite type of bread?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:04 AM
Do you prefer rustic style bread or a nice soft white - or perhaps sourdough is your favourite? Bread with seeds and grains, dark rye, brioche, Wonder loaf? Which do you prefer - or are you like me? I love most breads and which one I prefer depends on what I'm eating with the bread.

For example, a chip butty has to be on soft white (Wonder loaf type bread is fine). Ditto a cucumber sandwich - cucumber is a delicate thing and would be swamped by a rustic bread.

Last edited:
I'm a white bread guy, just plain is Fine with me but wife's been getting a cheesy bread that is real yummy. Love sourdough ciabatta or anything that I can make garlic bread with. Wife is only whole meal. Diet thing??

Russ

I'm a white bread guy, just plain is Fine with me but wife's been getting a cheesy bread that is real yummy. Love sourdough ciabatta or anything that I can make garlic bread with. Wife is only whole meal. Diet thing??

Russ

Whole meal is better in theory because it retains more nutrients and has natural roughage. Personally I'm not that keen on wholemeal. But I love a good dark rye bread - especially with cheese.

Last edited:
As MG, it depends upon what I am eating. Sourdough rolls are excellent for ham sandwiches and burgers, but baguettes for eating with chilli. Our local supermarket has been baking speciality breads in the last few months but unfortunately my favourite, combicorn has been discontinued because their flour source has dried up.

big c bread s.jpg

These are their olive sourdough and walnut sourdough breads.

olive sour bread s.jpg

Walnut sour bread 2 s.jpg

They look good - its great to be able to get those breads in Thailand.

They've only been available very recently. I'm not sure if even sliced white bread was available 15 years ago.

Most bread is all right with me (what else would you expect from a duck?). Soft and soggy white bread is excluded, however. Something wholemeal and grainy I like. Crusty white, such as a nice baguette is most acceptable. Irish wheat and soda bread, most assuredly. Stotty cake? Yes, please. I like most Italian and Indian breads, too. I might draw the line at injera, though. Not too bad when fresh, otherwise it has the appearance and taste of carpet underfelt that's been soaked in vinegar.

Very good question. I like lots of different bread for different things. I'm liking these at the moment.
479072011_0_640x640.jpg

I also love Tesco's cranberry, sunflower and pumpkin seed bread and their walnut bread.

I depends on what the meal is. Being of German decent, I like dark breads a lot. Different rye breads which I most often have for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom